Yellow Jackets ??????

Hello I have Yellow Jackets on the inside of the outside of my house . I have sprayed through the hole but they are so far away from hole that it has no effect. Is there some kind of fogger that I could use? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

Sincerely Stephen Please E-mail

Reply to
Stephen

Use a product called "wait til the first freeze when they all will have died of starvation anyway". Then fix the leaks, before next spring, that attracted them and will likely have the next generation roosting there.

If you must do something now, spray in a strong permethrin via a tube. Bengal Roach Spray is excellent (albeit pricey), uses a dry refrigerant carrier that evaps immediately, leaving surface residue as well as a penetrating dry fog. Cheap sprays are water based and very weakly concentrated by comparison.

Put some no-pest type strip in the hole. This lets them out in desperation (so they don't bore through into the interior of your house elsewhere--watch out for this in any case!), but repels and/or slow- poisons the returning workers.

Poor man's repellant: rope or felt saturated with kerosene.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Ortho Sevin , a dust, use a turkey baster to get it in the hole do it at night if you are scared.

Reply to
m Ransley

i second ransley. it has always worked for me. sometimes a second shot is needed. dust it and let them go in and out don't trap them in there.

Reply to
jdk

Reply to
Mike

I recommend doing it at night even if you aren't scared, but just are not inclined to be stung by pissed-off insects. I had a deep hive of yellow-jackets in a stump near the house, and I hit them a number of time (at night) with the regular cans of hardware-store foam spray, with no visible effect. They were in too deep.

I finally called a pro, and he wasn't scared and he did it in the daytime and he got stung three or four times while dealing with them. The fee was something like $125, but I was glad to write out the check.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

Insecticide dust or powder is what you need. Toss it in the hole and the wasps will get it on their feet and track it into the nest; it will kill the whole hive.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

m Ransley spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in

I have a similar problem here. Where can I find this stuff?

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck_n0i

garden store for vegetables

Reply to
charlie

charlie spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in

Hrm....

Thanks. I'll look there...

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck_n0i

I went to a exterminator who sells upplies that exterminators use . I got the powder that you squirt in the hole or around where they walk in. I didn't get much in hole to difficult but I got it where they walk in. I don't know which did it for maybe both . It just didn't seem to get much inside. There is dead Yellow jackets all over the ground excellent stuff! $14 plus tax for 5ounce bottle still have a lot left.None flying in out anymore I think they are all dead

Thanx

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

On a related note, how could I go about locating a nest. I'm getting swarmed but have no idea where they are.

tweaked

I have a nest in a pile of compost. I dropped some new grass clippings on the pile before I knew that there was a nest in there. One of them got me on the wrist. On the top of the pile there is a white plastic looking thing with a marble pattern that has holes in it. It apparently is part of the nest that they constructed.

Reply to
willshak

I had this problem in front of the house. When I was ready to deal with it, I went out and sat on an outdoor chair and said "Okay, who doesn't like it?" and there they were. I didn't move for a while, just WATCHED, and the pattern became clear. The center of their flight paths was under my chair. I looked under there and sure enough, there was a big nest attached to the bottom of the chair. That night I went out with a can of regular foaming hardware store spray, and a flashlight. Light on! Spray foam all over the damn thing! Light out! Walk, don't run (running away suggests a guilty target to a stinging insect), back into the house. Problem solved.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

Well, THERE is the million dollar question!

I find many small nests under eaves, deck over-hangs, etc. Basically under any protected and warm area (never on the north side of the house). These are usually less than 2 inches across, a cluster of hexagonal cells. They're easily spotted and easily eliminated after dark with an aerosol "hornet and wasp" spray.

But they also nest under ground, in holes left by other critters. I'm told these nests can become quite large. They are most easily located by stepping upon or near them. Just trace the stream of enraged insects as they ascend your pant leg back to the little hole in the ground from which they emanate!

I've found two nests this way. On the last one I got 14 stings. I ran back to the house, tearing off my clothes (they were up my pant legs and under my shirt--clinging and stinging).

They behave quite differently when protecting the nest compared to their food hunting behavior. I read once that they go out for food on about a 2-hour "schedule." They are far less likely to sting when food hunting. Only the females sting, but the males can give a pretty good bite (for what that info is worth! :-)

The underground nests I've seen were pretty busy, traffic-wise. So with luck you might see a few of them taking off and landing in one spot in the grass.

If you have a tenacious and fleet-footed child, you might be able to convince (bribe?) him or her to follow one, but as I'm sure you've already noticed, they zoom around pretty wildly.

--John W. Wells

Reply to
John W. Wells

Something that might help this problem from occuring again next summer in different locations for thier nests is to put out a yellow jacket trap next spring. Those yellow hanging traps that have cotton ball with attractant liquid on it and a piece of food. Put it out in the perimeter of your yard and this will trap many of the yellow jackets, and put out before they can set up nests, this will trap the queen and they wont set up a nest in your yard. Just dont put it close to close to your house, many people mistakenly do this. And do NOT put this up near a known nest. Out in the perimeter of your yard can keep them away from your yard and house. Craig

Reply to
DXer