yellow jackets

Have any of you found a product that yellow jackets will carry down into their underground lair which will poison the entire hive - much like ant bait? These are between a concrete foundation and block porch so anything flammable is out of the question. Anything that I spray at them just ticks them off and after the initial kill off they are livid. I tossed a shovelful of morter mix onto the hole and then sprayed it with water a good while after dark. By mid morning they had tunneled around it. Tenacious little buzzers! I more than a little concerned for the grandkids who, in spite of warnings and observation, could wander into them.

As always, TIA! Chuck

Reply to
C & E

Have you tried a liquid that will penetrate over time? Or a powder like Diazanon that will linger?

Best to work at night when they are not active and they are in the hive.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I've wiped out yellow jacket nests with about a half-gallon of Demand CS, a long lasting, micro-encapsulated pyrethrin. I used a sprayer set to stream mode, and filled the entry hole with the liquid from about ten feet away. I did this at dusk, just before total darkness.

Demand CS is a professional product, and banned in some states. You'll probably have to buy it over the web. It's relatively safe, as insecticides go, but it's shipped in highly concentrated form, which means it needs to be mixed carefully, with appropriate safeguards. Here's the data page for Demand CS:

Be warned - this is *not* an instant kill product. It will take a day or two, but you should wipe out the nest.

Reply to
Seth Goodman

Over the years ive killed maybe 15 nests with Ortho Seven, its easy

Reply to
ransley

Thanks, Ed and Seth. I'm right on it!!

Reply to
C & E

Real simple method, no poison. Take a clear plastic container, or glass bowl, at night, press it into the dirt and above their hole. Make sure there are no openings, but leave a good air space in the bowl. If you use a plastic container, put a rock on top to weight it down. As long as the wasps can see daylight when they exit the hole, they make no attempt to dig around the bowl and within a week, they die

Reply to
RBM

I've killed many a nest by simply inverting a glass bowl over the entrance. They can see light through the bowl and thus dont bother to dig around it. Within a few days there are piles of dead wasps on the ground around the rim.

I'd try that before I'd use chemicals

-dickm

Reply to
dicko

Put a hose on your exhaust pipe on your car or lawn tractor and stick it in the hole. Carbon monoxide should kill them all in time.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

Neat idea. I'm a bit paranoid of doing this at night because of the sentrys and the limited access to the entry. I'm going to give this some thought, though.

Reply to
C & E

Blattus Slafaly wrote in news:j6Cdnddwf6H9oUPVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Pulls hose out after like 30 min. Gets stung to hell. Follow-up posting reaming Blattus a new asshole. Blattus replies asking how long he ran the car. OP responds, "The car had to be running?".

Reply to
Red Green

I've used Methoxychlor 50WP, just toss a big pinch down the hole in the evening and they will get it on their feet and track it into the nest and kill the whole hive in about 24 hours. Sevin dust will also work, I just had the methoxychlor handy; use 10% Sevin if you can find it instead of the usual 5%.

HTH, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Wasp and hornet spray, shortly after sundown, has never failed me.

Reply to
Phisherman

If you do it, don't carry a flashlight unless it's covered with a red lens

Reply to
RBM

PS Don't hang around.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

If you have to be told to start the car, never mind the bees.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

You've had some good suggestions; Demand, Tempo, Talstar, Delta Dust, etc. will all work, but they have limited to no "knock down" effect on hornets. I never heard the plastic jug/glass bowl technique, but it sounds like it could work.

The colonies seem rather slow to react to any alarms, at night, IME. A squirt of hornet "freeze" will kill the sentrys, and I've never seen more than 3.

This is the time of year hornets are producing new queens which will overwinter and ensure the survival or the colony, so they tend to be very aggressive.

I had one client dig up a nest with a backhoe. He "said" it was

4'x6'x8' deep, but it was all filled in when I saw it. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Blattus Slafaly wrote in news:qdudna2sWe9cFULVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Well, I didn't put a ":-)". Hope it wasn't taken as you forgot to tell him to start the car!

Reply to
Red Green

Two cans have failed me. No dice. I think that it's a very large infestation.

Reply to
C & E

It may be very big. I'd go for something diluted with water and pour a gallon or two over a few days so it saturates.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You need to use an insecticide *dust* not a liquid. See my other post for more details.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob