Yellow Jacket nest problem

A friend on another list writes: ====================== I've got a little problem here, and I'm open to suggestions. I have a yellow jacket nest that needs to be dealt with. The little SOBs got me twice before I found the nest. They are in a concrete block wall on the side of my property, and they come and go through a tiny hole in the side of one of the blocks. If they were in the ground, or if the hole was in the top of the wall, I would pour a cup of gasoline down the hole and be done with it. Since the hole is in the side of the wall, there is no way to pour anything down it. They definitely have to go. I will be ordering 3 tones of hay soon, and right there is where it will be unloaded and stacked. The little buggers will sting heck out of everyone concerned! ===================

How to handle this?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You might try getting one of those powerful water guns and mix Dawn into the water. Much safer than gas.

Disclaimer: I know for sure it works on wasps.....yellow jackets???,,,It would be worth a try from me but YMMV! :)

Good luck!!

Reply to
bmickey9

They make flying insect killer that shoots a stream 10' or so. I've used it successfully on yellow jacket nests several times.

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Wait till nightfall and put the nozzle of one of these cans into the crack and have at it. When done (?!) seal the hole with something pliable like silicone caulk. The fumes as well as the liquid should finish them off.

Reply to
C & E

For something like that I use the carpenter ant dust that is dispensed through a tube.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

We carry on our service trucks the "can" of wasp spray that shoots some 20 feet. I'd take CE 's suggestion!

Reply to
Zephyr

If the tiny hole is their only access, then the solution is easy. Wait until a few hours after darkness sets in, and they're inactive. You will be able to walk right up to the opening and quickly block the opening with caulk, or polyurethane foam, etc. If there's no other way out, they will eventually die. I've done this many times.

Reply to
SRN

I would use the wasp spray and put a stream directly in the hole. Give it a good shot to try to kill the nest. I did this last week and

2 shots killed nest in a bush. I spray during the day and have never been bitten and I'm alergic too! If in the ground, I'll make up a gallon of malathion and dump in hole. Then seal the hole with chalk or whatever. Only time I've had trouble eliminating nest is when they are in the siding corners and have multiple entrances. Frank
Reply to
Frank

I had a tiny hole by my front door. I proped up the shop vac nozzle right at the hole and turned it on. Plunk, plunk, plunk. Yellowjacket sucked down the vac hose as they exit or try to enter the nest. I let it run a couple hours, then plugged the hole with cault. Problem solved. A little spritz of insecticide into the vac nozzle imediately after I turned it off, and plug the hose with a rag took care of any survivors.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F