A/C duct repair - Help!

Can anyone suggest a good website for info on DIY A/C duct repair? I've searched for a good while and didn't find much detail. Is it something non-professionals are advised to stay away from?

From what I've been able to find out, duct tape doesn't work well for

A/C ducts (ironically) but mastic should be used instead. What kind of mastic? I know where the holes are. How much should I use?

Apparently, there are 2 types of ducts: the "box" kind and the kind that's like a coil in a bag. What is the proper name for the coil kind? A section of the coil kind appears crushed in my attic. Does that happen normally over the years? Can I repair that section or must I replace it?

I would appreciate some pointers from a pro. I can't really afford to hire someone right now.

Thanks,

Greg

Reply to
gplantam

Maybe you could tell us what happened to your ducts that they need to be repaired. Are we talking about a 2" hole, or what? Are these rectangular ducts, or round? Do you know how to use tin snips and a rivet gun?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It is probably best to replace the damaged section.

You should use UL181 approved duct tape [not rubber back duct tape.] You should also use sheet metal collars to join the repaired duct to the new section of duct, and it is advisable to use mechanical restraint [zip ties.] The 'coiled duct in a box / bag' is flexible duct. You can use a sharp large knife to cut the duct, and a diagonal cutter to cut the spring [do not use aviation snips to cut the spring, it will ruin them.] Good luck.

Reply to
Zephyr

Lowes has some of those round insulated ducts in 25 and 50 foot lengths. They are of a much higher R value than your old ones, which means you get more cool air in the summer and warm air in the winter and it saves on your heating bill.

It is a vey easy job to replace the old with the better quality new ones.

Reply to
valvejob

valvejob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Last time I used some 8" it had, I think, R6 stamped on it.

Reply to
Al Bundy

"Zephyr" wrote in news:3ZadnYgnlrbyyjjbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@championbroadband.com:

I've used, and have seen HVAC guys use, Polyken tapes. This one meets the spec you mentioned.

Al Bundy

Yep!

And the stuff comes is wider widths which I have seen on new installations in church buildings.

GREAT STUFF. It can take higher temperatures can can be used with gas dryer vents. Holds as well as screws but doesn't "snag" or catch lint.

Reply to
<nni/gilmer

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. :-)

Reply to
gplantam
14 max positive pressure=6" water max negative pressure=1" water max flame spread 25 max smoke developed 60 max velocity= 4000 fpm R 5.6 Perm 0.1 Permaflex M-KE
Reply to
gplantam

And the ZIP file has what virus?

Reply to
Moe Jones

Never install a smaller Return air duct! The 14" flex duct could even be too small!

udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

Reply to