What's this grassy weed in my lawn? (Photo link)

Over the past two or three years some patches of fast growing "grassy weeds" have shown up here and there on my lawns. After mowing, this stuff seems to grow two or three times as fast as the turf grasses, and sticks up noticable in a couple of days.
Photos at:
http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/weed.html
I'm hoping there's a selective herbicide to let me rid my lawns of this stuff, which seems to be popping up in more places each year.
Thanks guys,
Jeff
--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"As long as there are exams in public schools there will be prayer in

Speaking out against anything corrupt or packed with lies. N Young

Steveo wrote:

Thanks, I checked out butsedge and that's sure a match.
Jeff
--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"As long as there are exams in public schools there will be prayer in

There are control products for it but they can damage your turf if you mis-use them.
It will die back on its own real soon in bean town.
--
Speaking out against anything corrupt or packed with lies. N Young

Steveo wrote:

Dern wide fingers of mine! (Or maybe the "b" key is too close to the "n")

I think that's a wise suggestion, only it keeps getting worse each year.
Thanx again,
Jeff
--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff /

want to. (remove -nospam-)
--
Speaking out against anything corrupt or packed with lies. N Young

I've read that a product called "manage" is good for nutsedge.
Lynn
Sure looks like nutsedge. Manage is probably most effective to eliminate it, Basagran also works, but may take a couple applications. Nutsedge only grows when it's hot and there is a lot of water present. Are you overwatering?

So THAT'S what is causing it (I have an abundance of nutsedge, also). Mother Nature has given us a lot of rain this year.
I guess I should pray for a drought!!!
:-)