What's this weed?

Every year this crops up in my flower beds and I let some of it be. I like the balloon pods/whatever and the flowers are pretty. It's easy enough to pull out if it starts to take over.

'm curious what it is, does anyone know? Thanks. I imagine it's something common.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

In message , Nancy Young writes

Reply to
Stewart Robert Hinsley

I'd wondered what it was. Why is it not grown more as a (half-hardy?) annual in the UK? In fact, I don't remember ever seeing it in a garden here. Might make a good display in a cottage garden.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

It's just about hardy enough to treat it as a hardy annual.

Powis Castle used to have it. (I haven't been there for a few years.) I've also seen it as a greenhouse plant at Threave Gardens.

I've grown it as well. I've even had a spontaneous seedling come up once, not the next year after growing it, but the year after that.

Hibiscus trionum is a species complex. A recent paper divides the Australasian populations into three species. FWIW, I reckon that there's at least one more species in the group, and possibly more.

Reply to
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Please excuse me for accidentally emailing you my thanks. My browser snuck in a very unhelpful update and when I click reply, it didn't reply here.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young