Stolen or from a flood ?

The Ariens 32" wide snowblower I recently got free - the ID numbers are all "missing". Nothing on the Tecumseh cast iron sleeve engine - not even a horsepower number. The tag on the unit has the model / serial numbers cut away. There is, what seems to be, an unusual amount of rust & corrosion on the control linkiages and engine.
It is a big heavy unit so it may have belonged to a town or business rather than a homeowner (but the paint in the auger housing and chute shows very little wear) - and then stolen. Or with all the floods in recent years, it could have been damaged and the numbers removed for some insurance reason.
Any ideas ?

Ask Ariens if there are other ways to identify such creatures. There may be numbers stamped on parts somewhere.
contact the police to see if it's stolen
- Tom - wrote:

Srgnt Billko wrote:

Got free from where??? That might tell it all...

Not yet - from an old gal who's husband had a stroke and is incapacitated. He collected a lot of junk and she is trying to clean it out so her son can build on their property. They are long time residents and well known. I can't understand him when he tries to talk.