Pre-treat weeds with soapy water before spraying weed killer?

Page 2 of 2

Good thing about Roundup and other products that only contain glyphostate and no other harmful chemicals is that it is almost harmless to people and animals with normal usage. You could probably drink small quanties and have almost no effect. Maybe like a good dose of Exlax. You would think somthing that would kill almost all plant life would be very dangerous to people, but turns out it is one of the safest chemical grass and weed killers.
J Burns wrote: Stormin Mormon wrote:

Why do you have your line-length set to 50-odd characters instead of, say, 72?
Regarding roundup, the only place I use that is in my parkinglot at $dayjob and on the road in front of my house (in the cracks around the curbs) or on my driveway. There is no other place where spraying roundup in my yard wouldn't kill either grass or something that my SO would kill me for.

I buy Roundup in premixed 5-liter hand-pump sprayer:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PD3g7sAdL.jpg
When it's all used up, I clean it with hot water, use some lacquer thinner to wipe away the painted-on label, and use it as a sprayer for Ortho weed-b-gon.
The Roundup I buy in that 5-liter ready-to-use sprayer contains:
- glyphosate (present as isopropylamine salt)
preservatives - 5-chloro-2-methyl-4-isothiazolin-3-one - 2-methyl-4-isothiazolin-3-one
Nothing else is listed. No other chemicals, no surfactants.
Could those "preservatives" function as surfactants?
According to this:
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/dienochlor-glyphosate/glyphosate-ext.html
=================Glyphosate is practically non-toxic to fish. However, Roundup was more toxic to fish than was glyphosate. An additive used in the Roundup formulation (modified tallow amine used as a surfactant) is apparently more toxic to fish than many common surfactants. For this reason, the formulation for use in aquatic situations (Rodeo) omits this ingredient. The surfactant is used to allow the compound to readily dissolve in solution and to keep the compound from balling up on the leaf surface. ================== This is wikipedia's page for polyethoxylated tallow amine surfactants:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethoxylated_tallow_amine
==============Roundup Pro is a formulation of glyphosate that contains a phosphate ester neutralized polyethoxylated tallow amine surfactant; as of 1997 there was no published information regarding the chemical differences between the surfactant in Roundup and Roundup Pro.
The polyethoxylated tallow amine used as a surfactant in Roundup is referred to in the literature as MON 0139 or polyoxyethyleneamine (POEA). Presumably, the Roundup surfactant is a derivative of tallow, a complex mixture of fat from the fatty tissue of cattle or sheep.
POEA is 15% of Roundup formulations and the phosphate ester neutralized polyethoxylated tallow amine surfactant is 14.5% of Roundup Pro.
Surfactants are generally required to be used with glyphosate to allow effective uptake of glyphosate, which is hydrophilic, across plant cuticles, which are hydrophobic, and reduces the amount of glyphosate washed off plants by rain. ============== Does premixed Roundup available in the US contain surfactants?
I spray insecticidal soap on a few locust trees to kill aphids, and might start mixing it with Roundup and Weed-B-Gon as an experiment. This soap contains:
- Alkanolamine salts of fatty acids (25%)
In belched:

why do you continuely morph? is it because your an asshole or you do you have an identity problem
Bob F wrote:

I don't use enough roundup to make it a real concern. I don't have a lot of area (on a sq. footage basis) to nuke of all plant life. Due to political retardation, concentrated roundup is not available at the retail level where I am.

You can buy concentrated roundup that comes in a pump sprayer?
Bob F wrote:

I reformat ALL of the text that I quote so that it remains properly formatted.
AND - for those dumb-ass full-quoters, you shouldn't be dragging the same text through multiple chain-replies anyways. These are not email conversations were having. This is usenet, where the entire thread is ALWAYS AVAILABLE and there is NO NEED TO DRAG OLD TEXT INTO SEVERAL GENERATIONS OF REPLIES.

the squirrels were acting squirrelly? How so?

Squirrels acting strange?
Is there a punch line or was that it?
--
Dan Espen

On 7/14/2014 12:51 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

Aw, nuts. You asked before me.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

That probably runs down the gutter to the lake. But when the Romans were putting an end to their enemies' foolishness, they salted their fields. If they can't grow, they can't eat, and if they can't eat, they can't be a nuisance to the Romans.
HomeGuy" <"Home wrote:

* <<<<directly>>>> *

Then you'd best update your info , because glyphosate has been implicated in CCD . You can bet your sweet ass I won't be using anything that hasn't been PROVEN safe for bees , there's a pretty big investment sittin' out there in the orchard .
--
Snag