Lawn idiot needs help

Hi there,
I have a badly maintained lawn that needs some assistance to get back to health.
I put the lawn in 2 years ago and then injured myself badly enough that I was unable to do any gardening until now.
I've spent the last two weeks cleaning it up and it looks like this:
[image:
http://www.jamesrichmond.com/pic/lawn_0411.jpg ]
The issues we are having are:
Ground is a bit uneven in places. Grass grows in clumps (thanks to a female dog that wees on it0 we are discouraging her from doing it)
Generally poor condition of the grass.
How do I fix this?
Should I be mowing it- or using a strimmer to cut for now? Should I be fertilising it and putting down some new seed and top soil? Or just water it and mow it every 2 week?
Thanks people.
--
octatonic

octatonic;918810 Wrote: > Hi there,

> health.

> I was unable to do any gardening until now.

> discouraging her from doing it)

FWIW, I am in London.
--
octatonic

Big unknown here is what the soil is like. If it's decent soil and the existing grass is OK, not some undesirable crap, then I would:
1 - test PH, adjust if necessary
2 - Rough up the bare spots with a rake or similar
3 - Apply a high quality grass seed suitable for the location
4 - Top dress lightly with peat moss, humus, topsoil, no more than 1/4"
5 - Apply starter fertilizer
6 - Keep it constantly damp, which could require watering for 5 mins few times a day. I'd do the last watering at about 8pm so it stays wet at night. Only do that when establishing new grass, not on an existing lawn during summer, which would promote disease.
Bob F;918859 Wrote: >

> too

> leaves to

Thanks for the reply.
Should I try putting some more grass seed down?
Jim
--
octatonic

Bob F;918991 Wrote: > octatonic wrote:-