Lawn turned brown, still needs winterize?

This is the first time I have this kind of lawn. It turns brown in winter. Do I still need to winterize it? If yes, when? Is it too late now? Thanks.

Reply to
John Smith

Any idea where you live?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

North Carolina. Sounds like there might be a chance that it's not too late.

Reply to
John Smith

Winterize before Thanksgiving if it is tall fescue. If warm weather grass, like bermuda, it is dormant and you can wait until March or April.

Thunder

Reply to
Rolling Thunder

If his brown turf is tall fescue, in North Carolina, in November, it's dead. More likely, the sod is not a cool season grass.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

I think the grass is bermuda. It's dormant now. If I apply fertilizer, wouldn't the fertililzer stimulate the growth of the grass? Is that good for grass that is dormant?

Reply to
John Smith

I'll be the first to admit that turf grasses aren't my specialty, but I'd venture a guess that it's past time to winterize your lawn, especially if it's already fully dormant. Probably best to wait until early spring (maybe Feb, for your area?). I'm zone 5b, and bermuda is an invasive pest, here.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Take a look at following for warm season winterizing:

I said, wait on fertilizing bermuda until later.

Thunder

Reply to
Rolling Thunder

All you need to know about maintaining Bermuda is here:

Rolling Thunder

Reply to
John Smith