In NJ, can you weed before fertilizing?

I am about to spray my lawn with weed killer. Does it matter if I put this down first and then fertilize later?

Thanks

Dean

Reply to
Dean

Actually what you did makes sense. Kill off weeds before feeding them.

I think the one step process is because most of use want the convience of saving time.

imho, I don't think there is a prob with what you are planning.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

You can do it in any order you like. One won't interfere with the other. Unless your whole lawn is full of weeds, I'd use a tank sprayer and just spot treat. If it is full of weeds, then I'd use a weed n feed product and do both at the same time.

Reply to
trader4

I have a tow behind sprayer, and I want to get the whole lawn as there are lots of weeds.

Reply to
Dean

Three to four cuttings before applying broadleaf weed control to new seedlings.

Reply to
Steveo

How long should I wait after reseeding to fertilize and spray weed killer?

I had some large bare spots that I prepped and seeded with Kentucky Blue grass three weeks ago, but the weeds are growing faster than the sprouts. Wash. DC area.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

and if you check the instructions they will often say use a weaker mix on new grass

rob

Reply to
George.com

I agree with the weed control advice.

For the fertilizer, you should have applied a starter fertilizer when you seeded it. If not, then I'd apply one now.

The weed problem is one of the reasons that Fall is the best time to do seeding. There is less competition from weeds

Reply to
trader4

Yeah, I did apply a starter fertilizer before seeding. I was wondering about the rest of the lawn that I reseeded at the same time.

I did try reseeding last Fall, but I guess I started too late in Oct. An early frost and cold temps set in by mid Nov. and ended the growing season for the seedlings.

Thanks for the helpful info, Gentlemen.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

You can fertilize the rest of the lawn with either a regular slow release fertilizer for lawns or a starter fertilizer. I'd probably go with the regular, but it's not critical.

In your area, I'd be reseeding in Sept, which is optimum. Even early Oct should still be fine. Past that, you run the risk of cooler weather and not enough time for the grass to harden a bit to survive the winter. Plus, it depends what you seed with. Blue grass takes several weeks to get going, while a tall fescue will be coming up in a week.

Reply to
trader4

This was my first try at Blue grass. Man, that stuff is slow to sprout.

If it doesn't fill in well, I will certainly be starting in Sept. next go round.

I took your advice last sept. and aerated, spread a 1\4" of compost and applied starter fertilizer. Last year the temps were still in the 90s in mid Sept. here. I thought it was too hot to spread seed. I was prolly wrong about that, huh?

Reply to
Dan

Have you tried slice-seeding it yet?

Reply to
Steveo

I agree with Trader. It depends on your growing zone too. I'm still slice seeding lawns everyday right now here in Ohio tho. I'll stop next week or the one after, most likely. It depends on the weather as much as anything.

Reply to
Steveo

It's the cheapest way to deliver your seed to soil. Tree roots and low spots are its enemy tho. I've killed 12000 sq ft of nice level root free lawn with roundup and slice seeded it a week later and had great results.

5K or less are much more frequent tho in my market.

When you get real good at it, I'll tell you how much to charge per sq/ft. :)

You can rent a slice-seeder at your local rent-a-joint. Use 10 lbs of seed per 1000 sq ft, instead of the 5 they suggest too. (try to find a ryan mataway if you can) trade secret.

It ain't rocket science but there is a recipe for Ohio turfgass, and that's the only one that concerns me so far. It works real well.

Reply to
Steveo

No, I haven't. I had never heard of it before seeing your posts about it. I have been following the threads here on that subject trying to learn more. I did see in another post today that you are using one daily at this time. Is that the preffered way to seed by pro. LC companies?

Reply to
Dan

LOL !! I do lawn - yard work as a hobby. I'd prolly starve trying to make money at it. After six years of working on my 1\2 acre yard, I still have the crappiest lawn on the block. Think I'll stick to remodeling. :)

I have seen Ryan equipment at the local rent-it joint. Next time I go there I'll check for a Mataway. thanks for the tip.

May not be rocket science, but I don't have any culinary knowledge either. Care to enlighten the ignorant?

Reply to
Dan

Nah..you'll be ok.

Reply to