Sting Team exposes a/c Techs ripping off consumers .

Page 3 of 5
On 7/21/2012 5:53 PM, Steve wrote:

I've found that if you're always honest with them, not dismissive of their questions and try to explain the workings of their system in simple enough terms for them to understand, a customer will really appreciate you. I give them a lot of simple advice like "turn off your AC/heat pump while mowing the lawn near the outside unit". It's amazing how many folks never considered something so simple. Of course since my friend GB passed away, I rarely work on residential systems. Commercial maintenance and repair keeps me worn out. O_o
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I think you are correct TDD. And I love learning new useful things!
What is reason for turning off the AC/heat pump before mowing near the condensor unit? To avoid getting more dust into the system?
It's

On 7/22/2012 1:11 AM, Bill wrote:

Correct, there is a great deal of air flowing through the fins of the outdoor unit and the fin spacing on newer higher efficiency units is much closer than the old systems. The dust and grass clippings from lawn maintenance can quickly clog up a running condensing unit. I always recommend a professional cleaning at least once a year for an AC unit and twice a year for a heat pump at the start of the seasons. Thick coated shedding dogs love to lay about condensing units and I tell customers to keep the dogs away, the male dogs also have a natural tendency to pee on various things and urine will damage the aluminum fins of an air conditioning unit. ^_^
TDD
On the radio last night, one of the callers was antique car guy. He says they despise seeing dogs at car shows, who tend to lift a leg and spray corrosive fluids on tires, hub caps, etc. He's in favor of prohibiting dogs from attending car shows.
Thick coated shedding dogs love to lay about condensing units and I tell customers to keep the dogs away, the male dogs also have a natural tendency to pee on various things and urine will damage the aluminum fins of an air conditioning unit. ^_^
TDD
I'm not TDD, nor do I play one on TV. But, I can tell you from my expeerience that the major killer of outdoor units is dust in the system.
Lawnmower: (n) a device designed to blow dust up from the ground. (v) a person who blows dust up from the ground.

I think you are correct TDD. And I love learning new useful things!
What is reason for turning off the AC/heat pump before mowing near the condensor unit? To avoid getting more dust into the system?
On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 22:02:43 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Eggsactly. Take a little time to explain things. The relationship between you and the client should be one of mutual benefit and feel that way to the client.
In the 60's I'd rebuild cars and motorcycles. Nothing is more irritating to me today than taking my truck in for service or repair and having to deal with a "service sales person." This is someone who knows very little about vehicles and is just there so the customer isn't wasting the time of the technicians; but that doesn't stop them from coming up with theories (to sound knowledgeable themselves and instill confidence) as to what is causing the problem, and trying to sell the "diagnostic fee." (along with oil change, air filter, etc..) (Dodge Dealership)
I get tired of this and take the truck to the tire repair place down the street. (they do more than tires) I tell him I suspect the sensor and why, tell him the voltmeter readings I'm getting, and he agrees it is the sensor. $100 covers the labor and sensor and I'm back in business.
On 7/22/2012 7:50 AM, default wrote:

It must be a great source of amusement to talk to them? ^_^
TDD
Steve wrote:

That's your privilege. I told my last tech who would not budge or reveal prices on my AC fan job, just like you, that I'd try to do the job myself (and I did do it). I have noticed that many contractors who give estimates vary them depending on how busy they are or their schedule. I think that is another reason that it makes sense to get more than one estimate. One estimate I got to take down my tree recently was more than twice as much as the other two. Many AC-techs like to take days off too I suppose.

face=Verdana>...<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; The base overhead for my company, is close to $60,000 per year before<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; salaries and taxes .... and yes the truck is paid for.&nbsp; $20,000 of that is<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; advertising, $10,000 of that is phones, cellular, and cable(broadband and<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; weather channel)... thats half of the cost of running my company... I<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; could<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; give you the complete list with all of the costs and expenses, but you get<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; the idea.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The customer pays for *EVERYTHING*.&nbsp; There is a lot more to<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; running a legitimate HVAC company than just a can or refrigerant, gauge<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; manifold and reciept book, and it all costs money, and like it or not, the<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; customer pays for all of it.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; The great majority of folks just don't grok those simple little facts do<BR>&gt;&gt; they? I suppose the Parts Fairy delivers parts and Pixie Dust for<BR>&gt;&gt; fixing everything? I'm fond of the Gasoline Fairy myself, without her<BR>&gt;&gt; I would be unable to get around. ^_^<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; TDD<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML> ------=
Grumpy wrote:

On 8/7/2012 5:39 PM, Bill wrote:

PaxPerPoten wrote:

On 8/7/2012 3:47 PM, Grumpy wrote:

PaxPerPoten wrote:

On 7/21/2012 11:06 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I just tell them that this is the discounted price. Just compare it to Mikey's over in Indiana. ;-p

Forgot to mention that if I had a store front, my overhead would be an additional $60,000 - $70,000 per year higher than what it is now.

Ummm? I feel totally crushed as none of those fairies seem to bless me. Like Steve, I have to dig deep to keep the proverbial Wolf from the door. If you civilians want to cut the costs of getting our services...then is is time that you had a long violent talk with your government that is blasting costs into the stratosphere. Does anyone remember how few years ago cooling gases sold for about 98 cents a lb. We should have Al Gores picture on every AC in America.
Steve wrote:

I got 2 coupons in the mail this week and I thought of this thread. They are from HVAC companies ("in business since 1985") that wish to do a "cleaning and annual tune-up" for about $60. I have 2 questions:
1) If you clean the condensor, what is left to tune-up on a properly functioning unit?
2) How can they afford to do this? Economies of scale? Are they trained to find something that needs fixing? : ) What would they be most likely to find? A capacitor on it's last leg??? ;)
Cheers, Bill

Cheap price to get their foot in the door, then its Katie bar the door.
1) if it's properly functioning, nothing. Actually, if it's properly functioning, it doesn't need cleaning. 2) I'd be suspicious that they make their money on finding things wrong, or making things wrong.