simulation code for air conditioner

Hi
I'm working on an academic project that aims to improve the energy efficiency of a simple split-unit air conditioner (e.g. what people would have in their houses)
As a first step I'd like to get a "feel" of the physical problem using computer simulations. Since the refrigeration cycle (evaporator, compressor, condenser, expansion valve) isn't really trivial to derive from scratch, I wonder if anyone has heard of computer software that is ready to offer such (dynamic) simulation of the INTERNALS in the air conditioner (I'm not interested in the room dynamics for the time being). It doesn't have to be really detailed, just capture the main effects.
I have searched these groups and found references to some old programs but now they've all turned shareware. Since this is a student project I'm trying to find something free or inexpensive!
Another possibility would be a sample flowsheet that can be loaded to either AspenPlus or HYSYS, since we have both these tools at college
Any tips or links will be appreciated thanks nikos

Your project sounds kind of stupid to me. Why would you want to improve on something that brilliant engineers have already developed?
Seems like better insulation or else just turning the damn thing off would be a whole lot easier if you want to save money.
However, if you are really wanting to do your little project, I'll bet you could use something from these guys: http://tinyurl.com/gplub
nikos wrote:

A book called Heating and Cooling of Buildings by Kreider and Rabl used to come with a disk. I think one program on the disk used to simulate and R22 vapour compression cycle.
Abby Normal wrote:

thanks for that, looks like the program is available for downloading too: www.hcbcentral.com
nikos wrote:

You're welcome, thanks for digging up the link to the softawre