Problems with air conditioner

Page 3 of 3
GooDman units ain't worth Goo.

Doesn't gooman also make postal trucks?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
While that's possibly true (they use GE caps, eh?) it doesn't really change my advice very much.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Quality of components is one aspect of a quality unit. Another is a quality of design. Still another is quality of assembly.
Goodman has to cut corners EVERYWHERE as they lead the industry in supplying low cost units.
OTOH, I think that they own the Amana AC brand, so to keep that brand's reputation, they MUST be using higher quality components on those units.

Apollo owns Goodman, Goodman owns GmC, QuietFlex, Amana, and Janitrol names.

IMO, they bought Amana to attempt to gain some respectability.....

Sure, take the cover off and see if there is voltage on the fan motor terminals.
That buzzing, does it seem like the compressor is running?
Poke around with a multimeter and you will likely have your answer soon.
If you have a clamp on ammeter, you can try to find out how much current g goping through the wires, that would also help answer a question whether the compressor pump is running.
Be careful, but not fearful.

Replace it.

"Bonus room" and "money is tight" due to "two kids".
Next time use a rubber. In the meantime, don't go up there until it cools off.
Get some skills and get a better paying job.

Maybe he can sell you a personality?
Gunner
The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.
In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.
Theodore Dalrymple,

That's the problem!
--
-john