Coleman Packaged Evaporator leaks

Page 2 of 2
On 10/7/2012 9:39 AM, Dhg wrote:

Is that some kind of a Mormon ritual? ;-p

Cheap entertainment for the drool-fools over there.

Dhg wrote:

Blame all around. Supply and demand rules. They make junk when they buy junks. You had the Coleman installed because the price was good? My top of the line Carrier unit is 5 years old. On every annual check up nothing has been wrong except routine cleaning. Across street my neighbor had Coleman , 6 years old which was taken completely out now. He said too many troubles with the unit.

According to Heat pump reviews Many customers have problems with Carrier. I have no reason to disbelieve you or these other customers. What is not junk to you is junk to some of these other Customers. I hear the same problem exist with other brands besides coleman. Maybe other Carrier Customers have had coil leaks which would imply the same problem but with better quality control. I think problem still exist. Rifled copper has drawbacks.
On 10/6/2012 8:55 PM, Dhg wrote:

Many problems I've seen were due to rough handling after the equipment left the factory. Most HVAC equipment is not built to NASA standards for resistance to high G forces. O_o
TDD

I believe that 100%, Major factor. I look at quality of frame structure to offset the chances of shipping damage. I still think the combination of higher pressure, rifled coils, and todays Corporate neoliberal drive for lower cost and profit has brought quality down compared with older units.
On 10/7/2012 8:01 AM, Dhg wrote:

Even the non-rifled coils I've repaired have some darn thin copper tubing. O_o
TDD
Interesting. Take a thin copper tube and rifle it. I'll bet it harder to solder than house plumbing.

Cattle drives. floppy drives C-drives flash drives and now, neoliberal drives.
What is the world coming to?
I believe that 100%, Major factor. I look at quality of frame structure to offset the chances of shipping damage. I still think the combination of higher pressure, rifled coils, and todays Corporate neoliberal drive for lower cost and profit has brought quality down compared with older units.

Yes there are problems all round, but there is also problem with installations which it comes down to installer. Other "Efficiencies" more thinner cooper lines, faster transfer of heat, more fins per inch more heat is dissipated, all this things require to be thin. If are made thicker it becomes bulkier heavier and more expensive. On the end consumers is one paying price. And no Carrier is not better then any other it becomes just like cars if you get yourself on lemon you got lemon!!!

I think if there are problems with coils and after a coil is replaced then that would point a finger at the coil itself or the coil install job. I tend to believe the Unit and shipping and coil install is out of the loop. The data suggest the coil seeing the problem is with many units and installers. They could make it out of another material instead of copper. I'm not a heat transfer Guy so I don't know the alternative. It would be interesting to know if these failures are more common with heat pumps or air conditioners or about the same. You Experts would have more experience on this question.
Dhg wrote:

Blame all around. Supply and demand rules. They make junk when they buy junks. He had the Coleman installed because the price was good? My top of the line Carrier unit is 5 years old. On every annual check up nothing has been wrong except routine cleaning. Across street my neighbor had Coleman , 6 years old which was taken completely out now. He said too many troubles with the unit.

I partially agree. I think I have to take back my implied designed to fail statement as I think the real problem is they have not perfected the Manufacturing process. Reference the piece below on Rifled Copper. Now my question to you experts is: Are the cheap window AC units with less seer rating using rifled copper ? I suspect not. Most have good reliability.
------ For about 20 years, the AC industry has been under pressure from both environmental and conservation groups. To improve efficiency, the industry started rifling the interior of the copper tubes that go into the cooling coil. They create spiral grooves, and that causes turbulence in the flow of Freon as it changes from a liquid to a gas. The result is a remarkable increase in cooling efficiency.
Unfortunately, rifling introduces stress concentrations that become points where cracks can form and propagate. The entire industry has found a dramatic increase in the failure rate of their coils. Some customers experience repeat failures, while others have zero problems.
In 1995, I installed in my home and my duplex, a total of three systems (including the coils). Since then, neither system has developed a Freon leak. On the other hand, I have customers with repeat failures. Charles had 4 coil failures in twelve years. Mary had 4 coil failures in eight years. Eleanor had 5 coil failures in 15 years. I personally have documented the evidence.
I don't know if my unit has ever been serviced. Acquired trailer last year. 1988 Coleman unit. Works good.
Greg
Installer: I finally got a hold of Hillbilly Bob the ac guy. Bob thought he should make about $1500 profit for 2 hours of work.Bob wanted to bring unit on a service truck too small to hold it. No problem for bob as he would just jam it in there somehow. Lennox Rep and a hard sell to buy Lennox instead. Good example on how to damage unit. I sent Bob who was drooling at the prospect of making a kill on his way. Bob also thought it would be a good Idea to hack another return duct in a structure. Dumbass.
There are some men who are excellent techs, but aren't skilled in writing. It's possible he may be one such man.
Ya know - if you could ever learn to construct a proper sentence, your thoughts might actually make some sense. Alas - they are simple gibberish.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

Well it looks good to me. Of course I did have a heart attack and open heart and forgot how to read for a while as words looked like a picture instead of words. I COULD spend more time remembering the rules of writing or I could at my age just drink more beer. I choose beer.

Sure you do, So does the Elder who does not like anybody attacking Romney and resorts to attacking spelling errors sort of like you. Perhaps you both are on the same team.

At least you said sir.

Well let me explain. The Religious types will always ignore facts which might not agree with their Religious views and attack non facts to shine a light elsewhere. It's standard backwards thinking. Start with an outcome and change the facts to fit. Ignore facts you dont like and attack anybody who may present them. You will find this response again and again always. Crazy ? Yea I agree it's crazy. You don't want anybody who thinks like this with a nuke button. If you still cant understand then you are just stupid. Others who have seen it will get it.