Coleman Packaged Evaporator leaks

Hello:

Background:

I have 3.5 Ton Packaged 7 year old R22 Coleman heat pump. After 3 years Evap coil changed due to leaks. 3 year later Again Coil leak. At this time it is out of warranty, so 1 can stop leak 3.5 lbs r22 and 6 months later LP switch is switching unit off. Unknown if switch or leak. Last time leak freezes condensor coil. This time not freezing. Unknown right now if switch or leak or other. Circuits are all ok. Design is piston compressor, Non TEV, R22, Single york defrost board, good thermostat and wires. I believe it is rifled evaporator coil. Simple contactor for condensor fan and compressor. 1 lp switch 1 defrost sensor ( closes in freezer) No HP switch or ambient sensor. Could it be leak again ? I'll bet so. After $950 in service calls I really do not want to fix another leak. I'll bet I'll hear a tone with a gas Sniffer. Yes this was installed by an AC company and I called the same Company for service.

My question is : Hear any complaints from others about coleman coils leaking? I read others have had lots of problems with leaks on colemans. Model PHP042H1021B. for you in case it rings a bell. I read one company is involved in a law suite becsuse of this. The Contractor I used only gave Mfg warranty which is 5 years parts only. Pretty sorry but I can understand them washing their hands after Mfg warranty. I will not use them again due to their poor unit quality screening.

DG

Reply to
Don Gore

Yes, of course it's possible, it's leaking again. Sorry to hear. That has been expensive. I'm with you, to call several other companies, and see what they say.

.

[...]

Stormin Mormon

Thanks. The last Tech out said he just bought a rheem with a copeland compressor and it failed right out of the box. He did not choose Coleman which his Employer sold me. Smart man. Still it failed. So it seems that todays outsourced Chinese made parts are like Consumer riding lawnmowers with eploding Kohler Courage engines. Make something that only last 5 years and not much more and sell more prooducts. This design to fail was done with light bulbs. 20 years ago I have bought AC units and had no problems. So I dont blame the Tech or the Install Company but I do blame the Mfg building designed for failure products. In todays Economy where Finance and outsourcing rules over pride of production it's buyer beware and check consumer ratings for Mfg profit hit and run product dumping.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:v9M9s.34414$ snipped-for-privacy@fed11.iad:

Reply to
Dhg

When in doubt, chink it out?

Real shame that quality and pride and workmanship is so hard to find, now days.

.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:v9M9s.34414$ snipped-for-privacy@fed11.iad:

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yea these guys have no problem making contaminated drywall and lead paint fake canser pills which can kill people.

Update: Sensor shutdown was HP and I see light amount of oil at compressor seam and measured pressure of hi is 77 low 86 Switch telling the truth. Bad compressor and possible other suspects which may have caused it. Not worth fixing.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:xwkas.47842$ snipped-for-privacy@fed03.iad:

Reply to
Dhg

I'm sorry that you got a poor quality unit. I hope you can find a good company, to install your next one. And that you get many years of good service.

.

Update: Sensor shutdown was HP and I see light amount of oil at compressor seam and measured pressure of hi is 77 low 86 Switch telling the truth. Bad compressor and possible other suspects which may have caused it. Not worth fixing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:fYCas.13183$ snipped-for-privacy@fed01.iad:

I found a indep AC man friend of a friend specified a better made unit with TX an scroll and plenty of room to work in a Rheem square box 14 SEER RQPL model. Downloaded drawings provided house duct specs and thermometer manual and provided exact part number. Too much trouble with warranty not to use a contractor. My last Tech bought one and I know others who have had good luck. No more non TX units.Give one of your boys some work and cut the Shop out. He makes more money and I save some.

Reply to
Dhg

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:1f5b0$506b8dd7 $4b75eb81$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

u mean write. dont U ? cant speak through keyboard.

Reply to
Dhg

Keep the change.

Reply to
Dhg

There is some humor just watching the level of some people. I don't comment because it would spoil the joke.

Reply to
Dhg

After talking to an AC man who is 75 and friend of the family I just believe many Companies are just making poor quality units so they can sell more units. Instead of lasting a long time they now last not so long. He had leaky coils on new units He had installed for family. Install Companies are jumping in getting a piece of the action. Design for obsolescence.

Reply to
Dhg

Hi, Blame all around. Supply and demand rules. They make junk when they buy junks. You had the Coleman installed because the price was good? My top of the line Carrier unit is 5 years old. On every annual check up nothing has been wrong except routine cleaning. Across street my neighbor had Coleman , 6 years old which was taken completely out now. He said too many troubles with the unit.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Blame all around. Supply and demand rules. They make junk when they buy junks. He had the Coleman installed because the price was good? My top of the line Carrier unit is 5 years old. On every annual check up nothing has been wrong except routine cleaning. Across street my neighbor had Coleman , 6 years old which was taken completely out now. He said too many troubles with the unit.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Tony Hwang wrote in news:TR2cs.594$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe08.iad:

I partially agree. I think I have to take back my implied designed to fail statement as I think the real problem is they have not perfected the Manufacturing process. Reference the piece below on Rifled Copper. Now my question to you experts is: Are the cheap window AC units with less seer rating using rifled copper ? I suspect not. Most have good reliability.

------ For about 20 years, the AC industry has been under pressure from both environmental and conservation groups. To improve efficiency, the industry started rifling the interior of the copper tubes that go into the cooling coil. They create spiral grooves, and that causes turbulence in the flow of Freon as it changes from a liquid to a gas. The result is a remarkable increase in cooling efficiency.

Unfortunately, rifling introduces stress concentrations that become points where cracks can form and propagate. The entire industry has found a dramatic increase in the failure rate of their coils. Some customers experience repeat failures, while others have zero problems.

In 1995, I installed in my home and my duplex, a total of three systems (including the coils). Since then, neither system has developed a Freon leak. On the other hand, I have customers with repeat failures. Charles had

4 coil failures in twelve years. Mary had 4 coil failures in eight years. Eleanor had 5 coil failures in 15 years. I personally have documented the evidence.
Reply to
Dhg

Tony Hwang wrote in news:OP2cs.593$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe08.iad:

According to Heat pump reviews Many customers have problems with Carrier. I have no reason to disbelieve you or these other customers. What is not junk to you is junk to some of these other Customers. I hear the same problem exist with other brands besides coleman. Maybe other Carrier Customers have had coil leaks which would imply the same problem but with better quality control. I think problem still exist. Rifled copper has drawbacks.

Reply to
Dhg

I don't know if my unit has ever been serviced. Acquired trailer last year.

1988 Coleman unit. Works good.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I think it's the pressure of competition and consumers not willing to pay the price for lasting products. I've had to replace new coils in new units under warranty and service old units that have been trouble free since before you were born. I prefer working on commercial and industrial equipment anyway. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Many problems I've seen were due to rough handling after the equipment left the factory. Most HVAC equipment is not built to NASA standards for resistance to high G forces. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I prefer working on commercial and

I don't blame you. Better money, higher learning curve, work with smarter people, better money, better money.

Reply to
Dhg

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:Tl6cs.16147$ snipped-for-privacy@fed10.iad:

I'm older than you.