Coleman Packaged Evaporator leaks

Page 1 of 2
Hello:
Background:
I have 3.5 Ton Packaged 7 year old R22 Coleman heat pump. After 3 years Evap coil changed due to leaks. 3 year later Again Coil leak. At this time it is out of warranty, so 1 can stop leak 3.5 lbs r22 and 6 months later LP switch is switching unit off. Unknown if switch or leak. Last time leak freezes condensor coil. This time not freezing. Unknown right now if switch or leak or other. Circuits are all ok. Design is piston compressor, Non TEV, R22, Single york defrost board, good thermostat and wires. I believe it is rifled evaporator coil. Simple contactor for condensor fan and compressor. 1 lp switch 1 defrost sensor ( closes in freezer) No HP switch or ambient sensor. Could it be leak again ? I'll bet so. After $950 in service calls I really do not want to fix another leak. I'll bet I'll hear a tone with a gas Sniffer. Yes this was installed by an AC company and I called the same Company for service.
My question is : Hear any complaints from others about coleman coils leaking? I read others have had lots of problems with leaks on colemans. Model PHP042H1021B. for you in case it rings a bell. I read one company is involved in a law suite becsuse of this. The Contractor I used only gave Mfg warranty which is 5 years parts only. Pretty sorry but I can understand them washing their hands after Mfg warranty. I will not use them again due to their poor unit quality screening.
DG
Yes, of course it's possible, it's leaking again. Sorry to hear. That has been expensive. I'm with you, to call several other companies, and see what they say.
[...]
Thanks. The last Tech out said he just bought a rheem with a copeland compressor and it failed right out of the box. He did not choose Coleman which his Employer sold me. Smart man. Still it failed. So it seems that todays outsourced Chinese made parts are like Consumer riding lawnmowers with eploding Kohler Courage engines. Make something that only last 5 years and not much more and sell more prooducts. This design to fail was done with light bulbs. 20 years ago I have bought AC units and had no problems. So I dont blame the Tech or the Install Company but I do blame the Mfg building designed for failure products. In todays Economy where Finance and outsourcing rules over pride of production it's buyer beware and check consumer ratings for Mfg profit hit and run product dumping.

When in doubt, chink it out?
Real shame that quality and pride and workmanship is so hard to find, now days.

Yea these guys have no problem making contaminated drywall and lead paint fake canser pills which can kill people.
Update: Sensor shutdown was HP and I see light amount of oil at compressor seam and measured pressure of hi is 77 low 86 Switch telling the truth. Bad compressor and possible other suspects which may have caused it. Not worth fixing.

I'm sorry that you got a poor quality unit. I hope you can find a good company, to install your next one. And that you get many years of good service.
Yea these guys have no problem making contaminated drywall and lead paint fake canser pills which can kill people.
Update: Sensor shutdown was HP and I see light amount of oil at compressor seam and measured pressure of hi is 77 low 86 Switch telling the truth. Bad compressor and possible other suspects which may have caused it. Not worth fixing.

I found a indep AC man friend of a friend specified a better made unit with TX an scroll and plenty of room to work in a Rheem square box 14 SEER RQPL model. Downloaded drawings provided house duct specs and thermometer manual and provided exact part number. Too much trouble with warranty not to use a contractor. My last Tech bought one and I know others who have had good luck. No more non TX units.Give one of your boys some work and cut the Shop out. He makes more money and I save some.

u mean write. dont U ? cant speak through keyboard.

Keep the change.

There is some humor just watching the level of some people. I don't comment because it would spoil the joke.
After talking to an AC man who is 75 and friend of the family I just believe many Companies are just making poor quality units so they can sell more units. Instead of lasting a long time they now last not so long. He had leaky coils on new units He had installed for family. Install Companies are jumping in getting a piece of the action. Design for obsolescence.
On 10/6/2012 5:57 PM, Dhg wrote:

I think it's the pressure of competition and consumers not willing to pay the price for lasting products. I've had to replace new coils in new units under warranty and service old units that have been trouble free since before you were born. I prefer working on commercial and industrial equipment anyway. ^_^
TDD
I prefer working on commercial and

I don't blame you. Better money, higher learning curve, work with smarter people, better money, better money.
On 10/7/2012 7:47 AM, Dhg wrote:

I know guys who are good with AC units who can't fix a refrigerator. ^_^
TDD
I worked for a guy like that. He sends me all his refrigerator repair calls.
I know guys who are good with AC units who can't fix a refrigerator. ^_^
TDD

I'm older than you.
If you write younger, I'll treat you younger.
Got your home work done?

I'm older than you.

Go Fuck yourself.
Guys this entire thread is being posted on "The Homowners Hub" website without my permission. I'm not a member. Feel free to start cussing, might as well.
Yep, home owners hub, and also Stucco Site.
Your Mom and I don't appreciate you swearing. You're on time out for a half hour. Sit.

Go Fuck yourself.
Guys this entire thread is being posted on "The Homowners Hub" website without my permission. I'm not a member. Feel free to start cussing, might as well.

Perhaps so but My Mother does not know. Just like your Bishop does not know of your actions. Your punishment for being out of line is for your Bishop to slap you on the side of your head with the BOM until you get your mind right or to go to the box. Yea the BISHOP looking through your received insults will rock your world and force you to repent. All the pestering you have done are going to come back to you when the Bishop reads this thread. These other people don't know your kryptonite. Tick tock.