Writing Contest: How to Repel Dog Owners

Page 4 of 5

If someone lets their dog roam, it's due to complete lack of consideration for the neighbors. The fines are minimal, and most dog owners are happy to pay them in return for not having to walk the dog because they were too busy watching Simpsons re-runs. That's not fair. The dog should be removed, which solves the problem permanently.

you live in beverly hills? pacific palisades?
Doug Kanter wrote:

Read my last post, it's because you removed that dog's tag and the owner probably will not be found which means the dog most likely will be put to sleep. It would be fine if you didn't remove the tag. It's not the animal's fault. '

Fault is not the issue. The only thing that's important is the physical reality of the situation. If the owner pays $25.00 and gets their dog back, it will be out roaming again immediately. Over 20 years of living near dog owners, I've found this to be true 99% of the time. Paying a fine doesn't make a bad owner into a good one.
All my life I have lived near dog owners and never have I ever been inclined to have one killed because it was an inconvience to me.

Isn't it a great country when two people have have different viewpoints? I might add also that this is why lawyers spend so much time interviewing jurors before a trial, to make sure they get the mix they want.

sometimes wishful thinking :-)

Your dog could WOK here

Oohh......I think we have a winner! :-)
Place beer mug on CD-ROM drawer.
Press:
CTRL-ALT-B for Bud CTRL-ALT-M for Molson Golden CTRL-ALT-H for Heinken CTRL-LeftShift-ALT-Spacebar-F8-RightArrow-^%-LeftArrow-L for whatever light beer is available at the moment.
245644%2461fed72c%40news.rcn.com&rnum=4&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D% 26ie%3DUTF-8%26q%3Dmost%2Bexpensive%2Bbeer%2Bauction%2B
On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 18:09:52 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

Why don't you put up a fence?
It'll save you a lot of trouble and grief in the long run.
Hal

Zoning regulations prevent putting up ENOUGH of a fence to make any difference. Besides, why should I spend thousands of dollars to compensate for someone else's lack of consideration?

What do your next door neighbors do to discourage dogs from using their yards at toilets?
Sounds like your yard has some unusual attraction for dog walkers as well as their animals.
Find out what that attraction is and do away with it, or change it.

Actually, there are very few fences in this neighborhood - just a few in the back yards. As far as the "attraction", none is necessary. People stop their dogs randomly at the dog's convenience. You know that.

No, I do not know that. Dogs will pretty much relieve themselves where ever they have been trained to.
I've taught most of my dogs to go in my own back yard. A few others, when I lived where I did not have a yard, I taught to use the curb.
If the animals are using your yard way more than your neighbors, then something is ATTRACTING their walkers. Perhaps you have a nice shady spot over your front walk where the person likes to stop and relax. Or perhaps there is something interesting for them to see.
Try standing in your front yard when you see them approaching. Your presence may be enough to embarrass them and encourage them to find another area to use. If that fails, ask them nicely to go elsewhere. It is your yard after all.

No sidewalks, no curbs. If there were, they'd still be my responsibility to maintain.

Yep. Nice shade tree near the edge. Not cutting it down, though. And, within a year, the property will be loaded with flowers, and therefore VERY interesting.

"Embarrass". That proves my point. If the owners are embarrassed, they know they're doing something wrong. We shall see.
Your first task is to contact the dog warden and find out exactly what the law is in that jurisdiction. In most places it is illegal for owners to walk their dogs on your property without your permission. However, if they are walking their dogs on the town right-of-way near the street, it's entirely different. Sign: how about Uncontrolled Attack Owner. Iris, Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40 "If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of the oncoming train." Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Been there, done that. The law consists of two main points. First, like most other places, the first however many feet belongs to the town. Second, no dumping or damage of any kind is permitted. Reason (per the town justice): Maintenance is the responsibility of the homeowner, which extends certain "private usage rights", as he called it. These rights mean that in certain instances, the law treats the easement as being private property.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Perhaps trouble and grief are his main source of joy...
Best regards, Bob
Anyone who intentionally lets their dog crap or pee in someone elses yard regardless of if they intend to clean it up is an idot with no repect for other people's property.
Make little "foo-foo" hold it till you're on public property! The morons that continue to walk their dogs and let them roam and do their "business" on the lawns and mailbox posts of others are totally inconsiderate.
I don't let my own dog go in the yard why should I let a strangers?
I don't think any amount of sign writing will get through to these dim-wit pet owners, that put little "foo-foo's" bladder and desire above common sense.
B H
: : >New house, new yard, new neighborhood, soon to be a massive garden. In my : >last 'hood, there were quite a few dog owners to deal with and I went : >directly from calm to ballistic with no in between. It worked, but twice, : >the police were at my house, ready with handcuffs, until they calmed down : >and realized that it's legal tell a dog owner that you'll murder their trash : >if they don't control it. : > : >This time, I thought it might be better to begin more quietly. I need to : >word a sign perfectly. The target audience is so-called "good dog owners", : >the ones who clean up after their trash animals. They're the ones who try : >and convince you that even though it's your property, it's OK for them to : >stop there. And, I believe that even when the owner picks the stuff up, the : >scent is still of interest to other dogs. My initial thought (for small, : >tasteful signs) was simply "No Dogs for ANY Reason. Period." : > : >Sounds boring, though, so I'm open to suggestions. The message I really want : >to convey is that the guy at this house may or may not be stable. I hope I'm : >not, but so far, I am. : > : >A friend suggested this: "All Dogs Will Be Collected and Eaten" : > : >Anyway, the best suggestion wins 27 virtual cold beers. :-) : > : : Why don't you put up a fence? : : It'll save you a lot of trouble and grief in the long run. : : Hal : :