Will 25 tomato plants be enough for two people?

Page 1 of 2
My wife and I both love fresh tomatoes for the table. We don't do any caning. I planted 25 tomato plants this year but four of these are cherry type tomatoes. We can each eat five or six tomatoes a day so I hope that I have enough for the two of us until the frost in the fall destroys the plants. Should this be enough or should I consider planting a dozen or so more plants that mature very early?
Rich

I'd worry about gout. I got my first case of gout from eating too many tomatoes.
Paul
I didn't know that too many tomatoes would give you the gout but now that you brought that to my attention, I do remember that last season, my big toe hurt so bad for about 3 or 4 days that it felt like I broke it. Perhaps this was a case of the gout as I heard you can get it in the big toe. I know it sure was painful. I'll have to see if it happens again this tomato season but I sure hope not.
Rich
EVP MAN wrote:

I've had gout. My doctor says the cause is excess uric acid from protein metabolism combined with thiazide medications ("water pills") taken to regulate blood pressure.
see http://arthritis.about.com/cs/gout/a/foodstoavoid.htm
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gout/DS00090
gloria p

I have had the sore toe once in a while also not due to gout. However, I also take thiazide medication. Not for blood pressure, for water retention (bloat). Once in while I stop taking it. I hate the dry cotton mouth every morning. The real answer for is more sweat type exercise in the morning.
I do not have gout, one has has a blood test to confirm it. I love tomatoes. For a long time I use to avoid tomatoes thinking it was the cause of my heartburns. Pizza and spaghetti was my favorite foods but did not like me. It was gluten, not the tomatoes. I have switched to corn pastas and rice based breads for my pizza. The corn pasta is far better than the wheat based pasta. My pizza's are getting better but not a good as the wheat breads. Salsa's with corn chips never bothered me. Bring on the tomatoes :)
On note to EVP MAN, try and keep the thread together. Click "Follow up to newsgroup" instead of "New Posting". Thanks :)
--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
I don't have follow up to news group to click on. I'm using a web tv unit and not a computer.
Rich
White_Noise snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (EVP MAN) wrote:

--

(EVP MAN) wrote:

Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 21:11:50 -0400, "Dan L."

Excess purines cause it. Tomatoes are loaded with purines.
Paul
EVP MAN wrote:

That's certainly worth considering. But referring to your main query, I cannot fathom two people needing more tomato plants than that if they don't can. In fact, if they are successful plants, you almost certainly will have tomatoes to give away (or sell). I have four tomato plants for my wife and I. We have *plenty* of tomatoes, and we DO can!
Tony M.

Yep, gout. Be glad it was only a few days. Mine lasted 10 days. Cherry juice, pure raw cherry juice, was the cure. It worked a miracle.
Paul
White_Noise snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (EVP MAN) wrote:

More than enough for summer eating. Try canning hole tomatoes with the extras. It will extend your enjoyment of tomatoes. Once and only one you try canning... you will become addicted to it :) Nothing like homemade tomato juice, salsa and sauces.
I have 90 tomato plants left growing for the canning season just for me. Last weeks high winds (70 mph) broken about 30 of my plants. I always plant more than I need for canning.
--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Dan L. wrote:

No, no the ones with holes you cut up (discarding the hole) to cook for breakfast on toast.
It will extend your enjoyment of tomatoes. Once and only one

Agreed. And it isn't difficult.
David

The curse of automatic spell checking :)
--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
EVP MAN wrote:

Don't plant more. You will be inundated unless you are growing in hopeless conditions.
David
On Jun 23, 11:30am, White snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (EVP MAN) wrote:

Google says a single plant may yeild 25 lbs of fruit. That could end up being 625 lbs of tomatos!
In article

It takes 56 lbs of tomatoes to make 7 quarts of juice. 625 lbs would make about 77 quarts of juice. But WHOLE tomatoes and sauces could be made instead. I use about one quart of juice each week for soups, marinades and beverages. But lets not forget many will be eaten fresh. Insects love tomatoes also :)
--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

Two years ago I canned 200 quarts of tomato juice but I am sure that I didn't pick 1600 pounds of tomatoes. I have a semi-commercial electric juicer which is very efficient and the waste (skin and seeds) is about 10 % or less of the total. Richard