What to Plant in Fall?

This is my first year planting perennials. I'd greatly appreciate some tips about what I should consider planting this fall.

In particular I need to find out what stuff, besides tulips and daffodils , has to be planted in the fall in order to bloom the next year. Bulbs? seeds? potted nursery plants? All suggestions welcome!

I'm in the colder part of Zone 5 on a partly shaded hill near the MA/VT/NH border.

-- Jenny

Reply to
Jenny

Fall is generally a good time for planting, provided your fall is cool and moist. You can plant virtually any potted plant or containerized shrub or tree. I like to give them a good 6 weeks to settle in before nasty weather sets in. Another good reason for planting in the fall is that nurseries and garden centers are cleaning out their plants because they can't or don't want to hold them over until spring. That means you can get some good bargains. There are many plants for shade. I would also suggest that you order some catalogs for reference. You can get some good ideas of what would be appropriate at

If you look under the online catalog tab, there is a custom search feature.

Reply to
Vox Humana

I'd walk about your neighborhood and speak to neighbors about what grows there about.

Cone Flowers Bleeding Hearts Day Lilies Whew.... lots of options and mistakes are open to you.

Find White Flower Farms located in Conn. USA via your Search Engine or better yet pay them a visit. Talk to folk's.

Please consider gardening fun...if it turns into work scale back!

William (Bill)

Reply to
William Wagner

Daylilies, bleeding hearts, hosta can all be planted in the fall. Heck, you can add the hosta and the daylilies now!

And skip White Flower Farms unless you have money to burn! Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

That looks like a great site! I see they have a whole section devoted to "Fall Bulbs." If I plant those now (I'm in Zone 6a), will they come up this fall?

LauraJ

Reply to
Laura J

Bluestone Perennials is a good operation. I have visited their Madison, Ohio facility, and they are truly nice people who sell small, healthy plants. I don't know about their bulbs. I assume that they are just resellers like everyone else who buys bulbs from Holland and resells them. You might look at John Scheepers

for bulbs. But to answer your question. Yes, if you plant spring flowering bulbs this fall, they will bloom next year. Here in zone 6, many people plant bulbs after removing their summer annuals. Then, they put in pansies over them. The pansy's will give color throughout the fall and again in the spring before the bulbs bloom.

Reply to
Vox Humana

If you are in zone 6a I would wait until mid or late October to plant your bulbs.

I agree with Vox on who to buy plans and bulbs from. I have bought from both vendors and they provide excellent service.

Reply to
Bill R

Thanks to you both--I will take a look at the other website as well.

But what about the bulbs that are supposed to come up in the fall? Bluestone had some crocuses, I believe, advertised as fall bloomers. Will those come up this year if I plant them within the next month?

LauraJ

Reply to
Laura J

By the way, this is the crocus I was looking at that is said to bloom in the fall:

was wondering if it would bloom this fall or if I would have to wait a year before anything came up.

Thanks!

LauraJ

Reply to
Laura J

Go away. I'm still waiting for summer to come. Don't scare me with the world "fall".

As other said, you can plan virtually any perennials, shrubs and trees in fall. You can visit your local nursery or HD to find out what they have in fall. You can only plant what they sell unless you spend more to get from other sources.

Peony will do well in shade. Hosta is very easy to grow and multiply. Garden phlox can grow in partial shade.

Reply to
Karen

Yes, October is a good time to plant bulbs. That is when my annuals come out. I have planted bulbs as late as January 1st. You can always find good sales in November.

I don't know where you are in the Ohio Valley, but you might consider taking a trip up to Madison to visit Bluestone. The first weekend in June, they have a huge clearance sale where they turn people lose in their greenhouses and sell their plants at a greatly reduce rate. It was $20 per flat, but now I believe it $40. Still, that is a great price for all you can stuff into a flat.

Reply to
Vox Humana

I was wondering if it would bloom this fall or if I would have to wait a

Fall blooming crocus, Colchicum autumnale, should be planted now for fall blooming this year. Here is link to some information:

Vox Humana

Great! Thanks Vox. I will have to visit my local gardening stores to see if they have any on hand.

> I was wondering if it would bloom this fall or if I would have to wait a

Reply to
Laura J

Jenny,

Maine Farms Day was just this last weekend... many large perennial growers/sellers held open house.

If you are wondering what you'd LIKE to plant, visiting the growers with demonstration gardens is the thing to do this time of year. Get to see plants in their relationships at the height of the growing season.

It gives you a whole different perspective when you see mixed gardens in a mature state. You can also take notes of things you WANT to plant TOGETHER and things you wouldn't want to give garden room.

If you want a marvelous day trip, Fieldstone Gardens in Vassalboro Maine is top notch. ( usual disclaimer, not affiliated but satisfied customer).

Info from the Maine State Website here

may have these resources where you live, in which case, closer to home is better.

Sue Western Maine

Reply to
Sue

That is excellent advice. I make periodic visits to a couple of big display gardens. It is important to see them at various stages over the growing season. I take pictures and make notes.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Go with hosta, they are great shade plants.

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy