what's this herb?

Page 1 of 2
I have a herb growing in my garden and I haven't a clue what it is (but it smells lovely!)
Could someone identify it, please?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/85947342@N00/1391956438 /
Many thanks!
Derek
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

Looks like Rosemary to me. Does it flower like this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosemary
It's been there for years but has never flowered, unfortunately.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

How big is it? Maybe it needs some trimming. I know Rosemary can grow very large but perhaps a little shock to it's system might make it flower.
It might need a change of location, too.
I miss my Rosemary. I left mine behind when I moved so I never got to own it for longer than a summer. I wanted to know what would happen to it a few years down the line... :(
Do you use it when cooking? Fresh rosemary is great in lots of meat dishes. Use it more sparingly than dried until you get an idea of how strong it is and how much you like it. We used it for crock-pot roasts and the flavor was just wonderful.

Probably too shady (as far as I can tell from the photo).
I wouldn't try to "fix" this by doing anything to your existing plant. Rosemary can be kind of finicky about where it deigns to grow (and overwinter), so I'd just put up with a non-flowering plant (and start from a cutting if you want to try putting one in a sunnier spot - read up on how to root Rosemary cuttings). There isn't any especially compelling reason why you need your rosemary to flower; it is an attractive plant with or without the flowers.
On Sep 16, 8:52?am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

That's difficult to believe, doesn't look like any fern to me, I'm sure that plant must flower, you just haven't noticed.

the flower buds, as can happen with many woody plants.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
On Sep 16, 8:45?am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If you don't know what it is how can you say it's an herb, and I wouldn't assume a culinary herb unless you can describe how it smells better than "lovely". Have you tasted it, you'd know rosemary right away. At first glance those long narrow leaves look needlelike so they somehat resemble rosemary needles but I think not. Rosemary is bushier and dosen't branch like that and would have bark, nor are their needles on its primary branches. And then again there are other plants in that picture, perhaps I'm focusing on the wrong one... there's one there that sure looks like thyme at first glance but now I'm leaning more torwards pyrocantha, but perhaps not. Your photo is kind of crowded and doesn't depict detail very well... you need to also include a tight close up of whichever plant your talking about. It would also help to know what planting zone you're in.

The simple answer, of course, was: Rosemary.

Yes, but it was funny watching Sheldon fall flat on his face again
Janet

Being the simple minded ones you are of course that's what you'd say.
I don't think that's rosemary and the longer this thread goes on the more convinced I am that it's something else or somebody is trolling. And it's really too late already... if this Derek (who has posted two more times) hasn't anwered my question by now regarding taste and smell then if he now admits it's rosemary then he's simply a troll. I was convinced he's a troll or that's truly not rosemary as soon as he posted that he had a rosemary plant previously. There is no way someone whose been acquainted with rosemary previously, if ever so briefly, wouldn't recognize another rosemary plant immediately, even blindfolded... of all culinary herbs the redolence of rosemary (pine) is probably the most readily recalled. For anyone who has had a rosemary plant previously to not identify another rosemary plant is tantamont to someone not identifying mint (any variety) when they've known it previously... don't need any stinkin' picture for either, only a nose.
contains

Adjust your meds.

What's with the commas and colon? Do you stutter.
That plant is not rosemary, simple.

Do keep posting Sheldon. The egg on your face is a joy to behold! It IS rosemary.
FarmI wrote:

It *would* help to have a better staged picture with something in it to define scale. There are many plants in view. The tall rosemary-like plant seems to be fronted by a similar looking plant but with somewhat broader leaves. The tall rosemary plant also appears *very* tall and more rangey than a rosemary would usually be. Yup, a better picture with something for scale would have been helpful. If it is a rosemary, it's not like a rosemary I've seen.

Sorry, I don't agree. Scale in the picture is provided by the earth/ground level showing at the bottom right hand corner, and the small round leaves on the plant in the bottom left corner, which is a cotoneaster. From those, the rosemary appears to be no taller than 3 ft. There's a black wrought iron fence just behind the bushes which appears to be fencing off a pool area on the other side and also provides a visual scale.

???? In its native Mediterranean, or in temperate climates where rosemary can survive winters outside in the garden, it's common to see bushes 6 or 8 ft tall.

Some rosemaries are prostrate and some fastigiate; and all habits in between. The weight of snow can make taller branches sag permanently.
http://www.garden.org/foodguide/browse/herb/perennial/184
In a cool climate like mine, only the parts of rosemary bushes which get full sun, will produce flowers; and never as thickly as they do around the Mediterranean. Here, shaded lower branches produce leaf only. I would guess that the OP's rosemary has bever flowered because it hasn't had enough direct sun at the right time of day, to ripen the wood sufficiently for flowering.
Janet.(Scotland)
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:13:35 +0100, Janet Baraclough

I have an 8 year old Rosemary 'Tuscany Blue' and it has never produced a flower because it does not sit in full sun. Anyway, this plant is propagated by cutting, not seed.
On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:58:52 -0600, Pennyaline

If I remember the photo, I think what you may have is a Japanese yew. Please repost the photo's.
snipped-for-privacy@sakajawa.org expounded:

V, it was definitely a rosemary. Some can grow in a columnular shape such as the one the OP posted. I've got one myself out in my garden.