what's this herb?

I have a herb growing in my garden and I haven't a clue what it is (but it smells lovely!)

Could someone identify it, please?

thanks!

Derek

Reply to
derektwilson

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1189946704.101027.78190 @w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

Looks like Rosemary to me. Does it flower like this?

FragileWarrior

It's been there for years but has never flowered, unfortunately.

Reply to
derektwilson

But yes, it looks exactly like that (without the flowers).

Many thanks!

Derek

Reply to
derektwilson

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1189947158.637681.8320 @y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com:

How big is it? Maybe it needs some trimming. I know Rosemary can grow very large but perhaps a little shock to it's system might make it flower.

It might need a change of location, too.

I miss my Rosemary. I left mine behind when I moved so I never got to own it for longer than a summer. I wanted to know what would happen to it a few years down the line... :(

Do you use it when cooking? Fresh rosemary is great in lots of meat dishes. Use it more sparingly than dried until you get an idea of how strong it is and how much you like it. We used it for crock-pot roasts and the flavor was just wonderful.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Probably too shady (as far as I can tell from the photo).

I wouldn't try to "fix" this by doing anything to your existing plant. Rosemary can be kind of finicky about where it deigns to grow (and overwinter), so I'd just put up with a non-flowering plant (and start from a cutting if you want to try putting one in a sunnier spot - read up on how to root Rosemary cuttings). There isn't any especially compelling reason why you need your rosemary to flower; it is an attractive plant with or without the flowers.

Reply to
Jim Kingdon

wouldn't assume a culinary herb unless you can describe how it smells better than "lovely". Have you tasted it, you'd know rosemary right away. At first glance those long narrow leaves look needlelike so they somehat resemble rosemary needles but I think not. Rosemary is bushier and dosen't branch like that and would have bark, nor are their needles on its primary branches. And then again there are other plants in that picture, perhaps I'm focusing on the wrong one... there's one there that sure looks like thyme at first glance but now I'm leaning more torwards pyrocantha, but perhaps not. Your photo is kind of crowded and doesn't depict detail very well... you need to also include a tight close up of whichever plant your talking about. It would also help to know what planting zone you're in.

Reply to
Sheldon

That's difficult to believe, doesn't look like any fern to me, I'm sure that plant must flower, you just haven't noticed.

Reply to
Sheldon

Sheldon expounded:

No, it isn't difficult to believe, it may be just cold enough to kill the flower buds, as can happen with many woody plants.

Reply to
Ann

Sheldon wrote in news:1189959368.246740.36340 @g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

The simple answer, of course, was: Rosemary.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

The message from FragileWarrior

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

On Sep 16, 7:18?pm, FragileWarrior >> (but it smells lovely!)

What's with the commas and colon? Do you stutter.

That plant is not rosemary, simple.

Reply to
Sheldon

Do keep posting Sheldon. The egg on your face is a joy to behold! It IS rosemary.

Reply to
FarmI

It *would* help to have a better staged picture with something in it to define scale. There are many plants in view. The tall rosemary-like plant seems to be fronted by a similar looking plant but with somewhat broader leaves. The tall rosemary plant also appears *very* tall and more rangey than a rosemary would usually be. Yup, a better picture with something for scale would have been helpful. If it is a rosemary, it's not like a rosemary I've seen.

Reply to
Pennyaline

The message from Pennyaline contains these words:

Sorry, I don't agree. Scale in the picture is provided by the earth/ground level showing at the bottom right hand corner, and the small round leaves on the plant in the bottom left corner, which is a cotoneaster. From those, the rosemary appears to be no taller than 3 ft. There's a black wrought iron fence just behind the bushes which appears to be fencing off a pool area on the other side and also provides a visual scale.

???? In its native Mediterranean, or in temperate climates where rosemary can survive winters outside in the garden, it's common to see bushes 6 or 8 ft tall.

Some rosemaries are prostrate and some fastigiate; and all habits in between. The weight of snow can make taller branches sag permanently.

In a cool climate like mine, only the parts of rosemary bushes which get full sun, will produce flowers; and never as thickly as they do around the Mediterranean. Here, shaded lower branches produce leaf only. I would guess that the OP's rosemary has bever flowered because it hasn't had enough direct sun at the right time of day, to ripen the wood sufficiently for flowering.

Janet.(Scotland)

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Sheldon wrote in news:1190082725.675644.321460 @w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

No, I did it to annoy anal-punctuation-retentives. Thanks for letting me know it worked.

The owner of the plant says it IS -- even simpler.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

If I remember the photo, I think what you may have is a Japanese yew. Please repost the photo's.

Reply to
jangchub

I have an 8 year old Rosemary 'Tuscany Blue' and it has never produced a flower because it does not sit in full sun. Anyway, this plant is propagated by cutting, not seed.

Reply to
jangchub

snipped-for-privacy@sakajawa.org expounded:

V, it was definitely a rosemary. Some can grow in a columnular shape such as the one the OP posted. I've got one myself out in my garden.

Reply to
Ann

Does not say any such thing, not in any of the three posts to this thread... in fact the OP hasn't a clue what it is, that's why the first post... you're yet another liar.

In fact the OP says he/she had a rosemary plant previously but got rid of it... only a comatose imbecile wouldn't know if the present plant isn't rosemary too, that's why I asked about tasting it... actually all the OP needed to do to confirm is sniff. No one who's had rosemary previously would ask what that plant is if it's rosemary, the aroma is unmistakeable.

I don't know what that plant is (I never said what it is, I don't think it's possible to say with certainty from that picture, all anyone can do is offer wild speculation) but I've no doubt whatsoever that this Fragile one needs to change names to FreakingSmarmier.

Reply to
Sheldon