what looks like a pink smoke tree?

I saw a tree recently that looked from a distance like a pink smoke tree (Cotinus coggygria), but upon closer viewing the leaves were tiny and somewhat fern-like and the blossoms were like astilbe or goatsbeard. What is it?
Jim Shaffer wrote:

Tamarix? (salt cedar)
Best regards, Bob

That looks like it, thanks. I've only seen the one here in Pennsylvania.