What do you call the white stuff around an orange or grapefruit?

Hey there, I was wondering, what do you call the white stuff around an orange or grapefruit? Seriously. I know its got to have a name, just wondering if anyone could help. (then I'll be able to sleep! :)
Thanks Eric

Pith works for me.
--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

It's called pith.
Jacqui

And the peel part is called the zest. (Hey! It's the only word I knew!)
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The albedo.
Lar
On Mar 3, 12:18 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It is the portion of the pericarp called the mesocarp.

Now you are just taking the pith
David
Read this: http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/kids/smalltown/story1/smalltown.htm

NEAT! thanks so much! my daughter will love this site!
On 3/6/07 8:59 AM, in article esjs37$q1m$ snipped-for-privacy@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU, "cb"