Starting plants from cuttings

I'd like to take cuttings from my Japanese Maples and from some roses to start more plants.Is there a best time of the year to do this? I've tries this many times (using rooting agents)and always failed. Any hints would be appreciated.
EJ in NJ

Never heard of Maple Japanese cuttings. Still I have a bunch of young tree's. My email without the golf phrase works and you my be enchanted for nada. I live in S jersey. Roses I hear can be rooted.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 18:34:49 -0400, Ernie Willson

It is unlikely a maple tree cuttings will root (please let me know if this works). Roses are often grafted, so here you may get a weak rose for your efforts (but cuttings will root). Best bet is buy new plants. Plant roses now, plant maples in the fall.