Geranium cuttings

I love white geraiums and last year I had some pure white plants from a supermarket. I liked them so much I decided to take 10 cuttings last September over winter them in my glass verander and plant them out this year. All 10 cuttings survived ok and I have planted them into my garden expecting them to be pure white as last year. They have flowered a very pale pink, can anyone explain this?

Reply to
coykiesaol

I don't know about geraniums specifically but the colour of plant leaves and flowers can change with the environment. Two factors that I know of are colour changes due to different soil pH and different lighting, there may be other factors I am not aware of.

One funny case I know of was a coleus that was grown in a pot in an office, it sat on top of a filing cabinet under a fluorescent light and prospered, it looked great having remarkable bright lime green leaves. This plant was greatly admired and so one worker asked the owner if they could take cuttings. The cuttings were taken and struck in small pots and then planted out in the garden. The folliage was varigated dark green and purple, that same as many common varieties and not at all remarkable.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I go with pH too. Don't know about geraniums but pH does effect hydrangea color.

Reply to
Frank