cosmos stubbornly refuses to bloom

I haven't planted cosmos in several years. I planted the dwarf variety 3 years ago, and have just enjoyed the chance reseeding (the dwarf variety seems to reseed a bit less prolifically than the taller varieties). This year, I have many plants of various sizes, from 6 inches to about 2 feet tall, all of which have been blooming for the past month or more - however, I have one plant which has a huge healthy central stalk, numerous strong healthy branches, and not only no flowers, but not a single flower bud. It is about 2 1/2 feet tall by now, less than a foot from other cosmos which have been blooming for weeks. I would say that the central stalk on the non-blooming cosmos is nearing 2 inches in diameter, and is practically becoming woody. Since we sometimes have a killing frost in mid-September, I'm starting to think that I won't see a single flower off that plant. Has anyone else had that kind of a cosmos experience?

Reply to
gregpresley

After composting and soil improvement in my yard for the past 25 years I can't grow cosmos either, my soil is too rich. Cosmos prefer poor soil to bloom well- but I bet you have a ton of pretty foliage.

Reply to
Beecrofter

I don't have the answer, but I got a cosmos just like the one you describe in a batch I bought on closeout from a garden center. All the others in the pack grew nicely. The one just turned into a huge bushy weed. I noticed it seemed a bit hairier than the ones that flowered, though the leaves were similar enough.

I pulled it out to give the others more room.

-- Jenny - Low Carbing for 5 years. Below goal for weight. Type 2 diabetes, hba1c 5.7 . Cut the carbs to respond to my email address!

Reply to
Jenny

I've had the same experience. One year I had cosmos plants that grew huge but wouldn't flower. I tried adding flower fertilizer, Potassium something I think it was, and breaking off the roots near the plant, but they would not bloom.

I agree with the idea that the soil is too rich. When I first started my garden and the soil was poor, cosmos flowered well. Now my soil is enriched. However, the year mine wouldn't flower, I looked around the city and saw other gardens in which the cosmos was flowering poorly, so I'm not certain of my explanation, maybe it was just the weather.

Reply to
Andrew Ostrander

I planted some a few years ago, they were great. I don't think they have ever rebloomed. My job ended June 30 and I've spent more time in the gardens this summer, and I have a ton of little plants, all 12" or less, and no blooms. I purposely didn't weed them out thinking I'd have a mass of colorful blooms this summer.

We do have good soil but that doesn't explain why they bloomed the first year and never again, does it?

Diane Zone 6

Reply to
Diane

No it doesn't, but I believe the original poster and I had large plants that wouldn't bloom, a different mystery.

Reply to
Andrew Ostrander

Reply to
gregpresley

Damned if I know! Maybe I should take a pic. But they sure loke like little Cosmos plants. I thought it was my moonbeam spreading *way* out but they are a bit different. I think I have the good camera with me so I'll grab a pic and send you the link later.

Thanks!

Diane

Reply to
Diane

OK, here's the foliage, anyone?

Diane

Reply to
Diane

The pic could be cosmos foliage - it's hard to tell with the ends weighted down with water. I suppose it's possible that some seeds survived underground for several years and germinated when the soil was disturbed, although I wouldn't normally think of cosmos seeds as being that persistent. (Usually hard-coated seeds like grains and beans seem to have a longer "shelf-life".) There are a few other plants with very fine thread-like foliage, including nigella. Have you ever planted that? (Just thinking out lout). "Diane" > OK, here's the foliage, anyone?

Reply to
gregpresley

No, it doesn't sound or look familiar. Sorry, I didn't think about the water. That area gets full souther sun against a white house and my dryer vents nearby. However last winter was pretty hard and I almost lost all my roses, so I would be surprised as well if they lasted

Considering it's September I guess I'll rip them out and plant real ones next year. I really liked them.

Oh, I do have a Coreopsis Moonbeam nearby but it doesn't look *quite* the same as that.

Thanks,

Diane

Reply to
Diane

Are you sure this is not threadleaf coreopsis?

escapee

I do have moonbeam in the same area but it's a *little* different. Do they spread seeds? The main plant still comes up in the same place. If it is coreopsis, would reseeds not rebloom?

Thanks,

Diane

Reply to
Diane

Any plant has the ability to re-seed, if it makes seeds. Since 'Moonbeam' is a hybrid, it may have re-seeded, but did not have the characteristics of the 'Moonbeam.'

escapee

Thanks! Since my issue is apparently not cosmos-related, I'll bow out of this thread. And I'll plant more cosmos next year as well. :)

Diane

Reply to
Diane

Horsetail? The pic I posted is horsetail?

really should take another.

Anyway, it never gets more than 6" tall and is only in this one garden (and has been).

When pulling some today I notices the bottoms of the stems were usually black.

I'll take some pix and start another thread.

Thanks!

Diane

Reply to
Diane