Azalea Cuttings

About two months ago, I took greenwood cuttings of 'George Taber', a Southern Indica azalea. I used rooting hormone powder and potted the shoots in a 50-50 mix of peat moss and plaster sand (no added nutrients). Then, I put the bottom of a cut-off liter soda bottle over the pot to act as a greenhouse. The pot is in a greenhouse window on the north side of my house.

The shoots are still alive and seem to be growing new foliage. But there are no roots yet. About how long should it take for these cuttings to root?

Reply to
David Ross

Don't know about cuttings, but azaleas are easily propagated by layering -- bend a branch down to the ground and put a rock on it. Approx. The time involved is around 3 months for a sustaining root system to have developed. Not that rooting in water or soilless medium should take that long.

Reply to
Frogleg