I need some help with a tree ID.

In the yard next to mine there is a flowering tree that I can't ID. It's 20-25 feet tall, round in form, and has a gray bark. I'm not sure it is a tree at all, maybe a viburnum gone wild.

Here is a link for some photos.

spider

It certainly appears, superficially, to be a Viburnum: Leaves opposite, strongly serrate, broadly ovate. Flowers are cymes, broadly hemispherical. It all points to Viburnum. Are the flowers potently fragrant?

Possibilities include Viburnum carlesii Viburnum x carlcephallum Viburnum × bodnantense ('The leaves of all cultivars are similar with deeply impressed veins, red petioles, red stems and slight pubescence on the lower surface. Leaves, when bruised, smell like green peppers.'-- Dirr)

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

Looks like a tree hydrangea.

Reply to
Mike LaMana

leat a couple viburnums have sort of stinky flowers. Tony

Reply to
Tony Z

them. At leat a couple viburnums have sort of stinky flowers.

Reply to
spider