taking cuttings

can anyone tell me the best time to take cuttings from plants, i am an amatuer as you might expect, does it depend on the plant? looking forward to any replys

Reply to
murdoch5

Yes, it does depend significantly on the plant in question - some are better served with softwood cuttings, others with hardwood cuttings and the timing of those is seasonal by plant. Can you be more specific as to what types of plants you are interested in taking cuttings of so we can customize the answers?

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

It definitely depends upon the plant. Hardwood cuttings from deciduous trees are usually taken in the fall and allowed to for callouses during the winter. Evergreen plants like azaleas and rhododendrons have cuttings taken in the fall and they are stuck immediately. Softwood cuttings are frequently taken anytime.

For a good introduction check out:

Propagation by Stem Cuttings: Instructions for the Home Gardener

Deciduous and Evergreen Shrubs, Trees, and Vines with Stem Cuttings.

herbaceous plants from cuttings

Houseplants

of Plants by Stem

Database

A couple pointers. Find out about these topics: sterile media rooting hormones

Reply to
Stephen Henning