Silvery leaves on Box hedge

Hi,

Last year my newly planted Box hedge started to display a silvery effect on all its leaves. The leaves then dropped during winter.

I've noticed the same thing again this year. Is it anything to bother about?

Thanks

Barry LS (UK)

Reply to
barryls69

Hi Barry,

It is possible that your box hedge has something called box sucker which is a sap sucking insect. The insect causes white liquid to spill from the leaves causing a white film to appear on the foliage. If the box hedges are young plants they will need a fungicide to continue with growth and the fungicide should be applied in the spring just when the buds are breaking. Fungicide control is not as necessary on established box hedges but still a good idea to apply. An insecticide/fungicide known as bifenthrin effectively takes care of this problem.

Jo Green

Reply to
Jo Green