Re-introduction

I read awhile back that a tomato was being reintroduced into the US from Europe. Apparently it was once in the US but seemed to go out of favor with gardeners. This year 600,000 seeds were to be imported. Does anyone know the name of this tomato?
Add pictures here
✖

it was originally from NJ... let's see, Ramapo. here's an article about it: http://www.lancasterfarming.com/node/1092 lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Marglobe is good Jersey Tomatoe.
Bill in the garden state. Hard to tell as I bike about and see farms as developments or empty fields. Still got Olsen less then a mile away but he's getting up there. One man one tractor with help at harvest. Younger folks across the way are sixties at old man Olsenšs. Same guy that gave Frank and I a nickle to unload a tractor trailer of peaches in 1960. Learned a valuable lesson. Very little truck framing or farm stands or a place for pulled plants. Have to go 20 miles for plants or 2 mile and pay twice at a local garden center. :((
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Add pictures here
✖
in

My Dad was an Agronomist at Rutgers when this was introduced. I sure wish I could get ahold of some of those seeds. It was a great 'mater!!! Bernie Polluck lived right up the street from us. Nan in DE
Add pictures here
✖
Nanzi wrote:

in
Nan,
Try this search, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=tomato+seeds+Ramapo&btnG=Search
It should lead you to some places that have the seeds.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years
✖
Bill R wrote:

in
Thanks Bill for the link. I just ordered some. Nan
Add pictures here
✖
Nanzi wrote:

I wish I had some old line Rutger Tomato seed. Those had more acid and better taste. The plants I get now labeled Rutger have been cross polinated until the taste is not much different from all the other mushey tomatoes.
Tom J
Add pictures here
✖

If they have been cross pollinated, they are no longer Rutger's. Cross pollination is unlikely even when growing different varieties in close proximity, unless you have potato leaf varieties close.
Could also could be dependant upon the seed source and/or plant source and your soil condition. Soil and weather conditions and the region in which they are planted are big factors in taste.
Plant mis-labeling is also not uncommon.
If you want an acidic tomato with great "old time" taste, try Brandywine, unless of course, you already have. :-)
Charlie
Add pictures here
✖