Re-introduction

I read awhile back that a tomato was being reintroduced into the US from Europe. Apparently it was once in the US but seemed to go out of favor with gardeners. This year 600,000 seeds were to be imported. Does anyone know the name of this tomato?

Reply to
Jack Allen

"Jack Allen" wrote in news:UKOdnS8RvbEriUDanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

it was originally from NJ... let's see, Ramapo. here's an article about it:

enigma

Marglobe is good Jersey Tomatoe.

Bill in the garden state. Hard to tell as I bike about and see farms as developments or empty fields. Still got Olsen less then a mile away but he's getting up there. One man one tractor with help at harvest. Younger folks across the way are sixties at old man Olsen¹s. Same guy that gave Frank and I a nickle to unload a tractor trailer of peaches in

1960. Learned a valuable lesson. Very little truck framing or farm stands or a place for pulled plants. Have to go 20 miles for plants or 2 mile and pay twice at a local garden center. :((
Reply to
Bill

innews:UKOdnS8RvbEriUDanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

My Dad was an Agronomist at Rutgers when this was introduced. I sure wish I could get ahold of some of those seeds. It was a great 'mater!!! Bernie Polluck lived right up the street from us. Nan in DE

Reply to
Nanzi

innews:UKOdnS8RvbEriUDanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Nan,

Try this search,

should lead you to some places that have the seeds.

Reply to
Bill R

I wish I had some old line Rutger Tomato seed. Those had more acid and better taste. The plants I get now labeled Rutger have been cross polinated until the taste is not much different from all the other mushey tomatoes.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

If they have been cross pollinated, they are no longer Rutger's. Cross pollination is unlikely even when growing different varieties in close proximity, unless you have potato leaf varieties close.

Could also could be dependant upon the seed source and/or plant source and your soil condition. Soil and weather conditions and the region in which they are planted are big factors in taste.

Plant mis-labeling is also not uncommon.

If you want an acidic tomato with great "old time" taste, try Brandywine, unless of course, you already have. :-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

innews:UKOdnS8RvbEriUDanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Thanks Bill for the link. I just ordered some. Nan

Reply to
Nanzi