Kitamun: Introduction

Also posted to rec.gardens.edible

Hello Everyone, I am Kitamun.

Last year I began growing an assortment of herbs in a window box, and a raised planter box of nine French tarragon plants. I found that the culinary reward of raising herbs were worth doing, so for 2008 I am starting a small kitchen garden. I live in a rural apartment complex and my growing area is small and will be confined to containers.

My strategy is to germinate seeds and start cuttings in the house where it is warm, and when they are going well move them to a cold frame in the yard to harden-off and await their turn in the garden.

The garden is a dozen seven gallon nursery pots and six 20" by 30" by

18" plastic boxes. The location has a full sun southern exposure.

My experience with gardening has been traditional row cropping vegetables in ground soil, no experience with growing in containers.

What has led me to this gardening project is my interest in cooking. Fresh food, prepared simply has always been my choice of cuisine. A kitchen garden is right down my ally.

Kitamun

Reply to
kitamun

[...]

Sounds like a good plan. I also grow kitchen herbs, but on my deck in window boxes on the railing. It keeps them off the floor so hubby can spray the deck clean without moving them. There is nothing like fresh food with freshly picked herbs. We make a killer tomatoe basil salad several nights a week when tomatoes and basil are in season. I have not had good results trying to hang herbs and have them dry with full flavor. Mine seem to get bland and boring after drying.

Let us know what all you are growing. regards, Olde Hippee in Delaware, USA

Reply to
Nanzi