polka dot plants

Uggg Ive had 2 of those polka dot plants...they get all spindly.. and then i TRIED TO PUT THEM IN DIFFERENT PLACES TO NO AVAIL, the leaves got lighter and lighter and fell off. I even gave it food. :(
doesn anyone else have polka dots?
-- bernadette snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net
PEACE IN THE MIDDLE EAST Jealousy is no more than feeling alone against smiling enemies.

I assume you are talking about Hypoestes phyllostachya. I have grown them in mass plantings in my annual beds. They do very well for me in zone 6 in full sun with even moisture and some 10-10-10. In fact, they grew so big that I had to shear them back a couple times over the summer with hedge trimmers. I have seen them grown as house plants also. They seem pretty sturdy.
Pinch, pinch and pinch some more. I have been growing polka dot for probably 30 years. If you don't pinch, they will get leggy, spindly, ugly, bloom and all that jazz. Perry

I have them in the ground in shade, growing with coleus and impatiens. Impatiens really need a bit more sun that where I have the polke-dots, but they grow.
--

- Charles
-

I'm in Southern California, Zone 9, minimal frost. Hypoestes goes perennial here. When the tops get leggy and drop their leaves, I cut them to the ground. They come right back.
--
Chris Green