Plant ID

Ok, it's my turn for the plant ID game! I'm afraid I don't have a picture to post, because the connector cable to the digicam is still packed in a mystery box somewhere.
Anyhow, it is a pretty flowering plant (almost certainly a perennial) a few blocks down the street...about 30" tall, bearing 1" flowers that look quite "viola-like" in purple with white. The flowers are born on a long spike, close in to the stem--rather like a hollyhock, except the flowers look nothing like hollyhocks. The leaves average 2-4", lanceolate, lightly crenolated, in opposing pairs. The plant as a whole branches into multiple spikes, also in opposing pairs.
I've never seen it before, and I've got a reasonable knowledge of common perennials. If anyone can identify this thing--which looks rather like a cross between a pansy and a hollyhock, with maybe a touch of snapdragon in the mix (yes, I know such a thing is not possible--that's just what it looks like!), I'd be grateful.
It would be best if you think really hard and remember where you put that mystery box and post that digicam picture really soon.
"looks rather like a cross between a pansy and a hollyhock, with maybe a touch of snapdragon" really doesn't help.

Nice description, but a good picture is worth 1,000 words.
What area are you in?
You can look up weed and plant images by state or province at the EWIRM database located at the World of Weeds www.ergonica.com.
Many of these references allow you to identify plants by selecting key features, instead of viewing hundreds (thousands) of photos.
______ EWIRM: Nature makes plants, humans make weeds!