planting Hostas

I have a chance to pick up a bunch of hostas (cut offs) The guy is selling his house and said i could cut a few off in the nexy few weeks.It is a bad time to plant anything at this time of year becouse its hot out. By the way i'm in wisconsin and its about 80 degrees. I went to home depo and picked up some top soil, manure and poting soil. I like to mix these together hoping it will help the hostas take hold easier. I heard it is not good to use the manure. Is that true? If anyone can help me with any ideas in planting these hostas it would make me happy. By the way hostas are my favorite flowers. thank you for any help anyone can give me.

Romy

Reply to
Romy Beeck

Hostas like partial to full shade.

Keep them well watered until fall.

Reply to
Travis

I'm not familiar with the term "cut offs" in relation to plants. Hostas can be "dug up" and transplanted. They can be divided after they are dug. You can't simply cut them off and plant the leaves and I see no point in cutting off the leaves and planting the crowns.

I would prep the new bed by digging down 18 inches or more and amending the soil with organic matter. I like to use compost and composted manure. Top soil could be anything they want to put in a bag and potting soil is usually expensive. You might thrown in a handful of super phosphate.

Your hosta will no doubt survive. Keep them evenly moist and if necessary, create some shade while they acclimate. I have planted bare root hostas obtained at clearance sales this time of year. Don't look for them to be beautiful this year, but next year they will return better than ever.

Reply to
Vox Humana