giant purple hostas?

I was driving by a house with a deeply shaded front lawn and saw a variety of hostas/ferns/etc. One plant stood out- it looked like a giant hosta but with more rounded deep purple leaves. Could anyone suggest what this plant is?

TIA

Reply to
Guglielmo Portas

I bet it was a Canna.

Reply to
Betsy

One of the colorful cultivars of Bergenia cordifolia or B. purpurascens?

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Thanks for the guesses. What the heck- I drove back over there and knocked on the door. It was ligularia.

Something like this:

Guglielmo Portas