Scarifier vs Verticutter vs Dethatcher (was: Less lawn, more ants)

look up verticutter

Seems to me that in the UK, scarifiers are a common product to be found for sale at the average lawn/garden store (ie the eqivalent to Home Depot or Lowes) but in Canada (probably US too) all you will see (seasonally) for sale are lawn mowers and snow blowers.

Does anyone know for sure is a scarifier is the same as a verticutter (verticle cutter), and is either of them also known as a de-thatcher?

Examples:

AL-KO 3800VB Powerline Petrol Lawn Scarifier:

Honda GX160 Petrol Verticutter:
Dethatcher (pictures):
Then we have other types of equipment:

Billy Goat CR550H 5hp Honda Compact Power Rake

Billy Goat AE551 5.5hp Core Lawn Aerator

-----------------

Earlier this spring I was looking for an all-in-one machine that would be used primarily in the spring, and it would do the following or have the following capabilities:

- gas powered, 5 to 10 hp

- push or walk behind (not ride on)

- important feature is that it's a high suction vaccum cleaner with large canister recepticle

- vacuum deck contains brushes, knives, blades, wires, or some other spinning, whirling mechanism that can beat the ground and dislodge loose debris for the vacuum to pick up (like a beater bar on a vacuum cleaner). Minimal harm to grass.

Uses:

- pick up gravel, sand, pea-sized stones or small broken bits of asphalt on driveways, small parking lots, or the roadway in front of your house in the spring that was left behind by winter road dammage and sand/gravel put down by road maintanence vehicles during the winter.

- clean the lawn in the spring of all the various loose organic debris, leaf and twig fragments (etc) that even a lawn mower with a bag and with the deck set low to the ground will not pick up.

- grind up (to an extent beyond what a lawn mower would do) and pick up leaves in the fall.

Cost: Between $500 and $750 USD.

Is there such a machine?

Reply to
Lawn Guy

A Verticutter is another name for Vertimower which is used for dethatching lawns , It is hard work and very messy . (VERTIMOWING or DE-THATCHING is the physical cutting and removal of the thatch, The vertimower has around 25 tungsten tipped blades) Virticutter is not the universal name , Virtimower is and is used to Virticut .

If you want to Aerate Lawn you need an Aerator or as some people call a Coring machine (A lawn aerator is a garden tool designed to aerate the soil in which lawn grasses grow. Aeration improves soil drainage) the average machines uses about a 5.5HP engine.

A scarifier can be a hand help tool normally with 3 bent prongs that are dragged threw hard soil to break it up , a Plow , Rotary Hoe, cultivator or Tiller all perform to the same job on different scales.

The 3 above machines are all entirely different and individual machines , No one machine can perform all the 3 tasks.

The money you expect to pay would make a small down payment on a Vertimower. A friend who does this for a living just paid $5300 for his Vertimower.

Reply to
Slick

Which I don't.

I'm not looking for a machine that Aerates.

I'm looking for an out-door, gasoline-powered vacuum cleaner that can vacuum sand, gravel and small stones from paves surfaces, and then (perhaps by changing a part or two) will dislodge and vaccum up anything not nailed down on my lawn (leaving only grass) and then (perhaps by changing a part or two) will vacuum up, pulverize and turn to dust leaves in the fall.

Reply to
Lawn Guy

Here's one:

another: