power rake/aerator/scarifier in the US?

I'm looking for something like this:

it looks like the only thing that comes close that is available in the US is a $1000+ machine made by Husqvarna. Is this some vast conspiracy by the rental industry, or am I simply not looking in the right places?

Reply to
m4rcone

but it looks like the only thing that comes close that is available in the

Looks like a worthless piece of junk to me.

Reply to
GFRfan

> but it looks like the only thing that comes close that is available in the

Thanks for sharing. Now, where do I get something like this in the US?

Reply to
m4rcone

Try your local Ford dealer!

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

I'm un-sure why you would need one of these per-say. It seems that it de-thatches (would bet rather poorly) and picks up leaves. It's only a foot wide and it would take you forever to do a 1500 square foot lawn area.

I would suggest that if you need to thatch your lawn area, rent a bluebird thatcher with a bagger on it. As far as leaf pick up in the fall.... mow them. Any bagging mower will work at picking them up or just multch them into the lawn if the the leaves arn't too thick.

If you feel that you *NeeD* one of these... then call Black & Decker and see where to order one in the us. You may also have intrest in looking at Mantis. They have a thatching attachment.

luck to you.

Reply to
Timothy

but it looks like the only thing that comes close that is available in the

As stated by others, you want something like a Bluebird

's a bunch of them for sale on Ebay in the $400-$500 range. The problem with ones from the rental place is that they get so much use that the tines/fingers get worn down and don't always do such a great job.

-al sung Rapid Realm Technology, Inc. Hopkinton, MA

Reply to
Alan Sung

You can rent one from Taylor for about $40 per half day. I've done this twice over the years and am always disappointed. The ground must be very flat for them to work properly and rolling it first doesn't help. This is not due to worn parts, there's only so much that the machine can cope with.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

I don't need that particular brand and model, just something like it. However the something like its that I've seen in the US so far start around $1000.

Reply to
m4rcone

Which is still several hundred dollars more than what the lower-end ones in Europe cost brand new. Now, I'm sure that the Bluebird is bigger and better, but I'm looking for something more on the low end, affordable side, which doesn't seem to even exist in the US.

Reply to
m4rcone

Sure it does... Buy a rake

You must have missed the word "power" in the subjectline...

Reply to
m4rcone

I'd suggest that you research the euro suppliers of said machines and

*try* to hunt them down on this side of the pond. I would also suggest that you look to Canada as they may have more euro-type machines than the usa.

I'm still at a lose as to why you want one. What is it that your trying to accomplish? Leaf pick up.. thatching..? Thatching really only needs to be done at best every 3/4 years. As for picking up leaf litter..ect, use a lawn vac or even a lawn mower.

I can understand how one can get used to a certain tool and a certain way of doing things, but it may be time to look at different options and tools.

Good luck finding that right tool for your job.

Reply to
Timothy

Thatching, mostly. I'd rather have a $100 machine I own, rather than spend $50 to rent one.

Reply to
m4rcone

If ever.

Reply to
Travis

Even if the one you own takes 5 times the effort of the commercial-grade rental, and is only durable enough to be used twice? And you have the storage space for a machine that'll sit unused for three or four (or more) years?

I may be going out on a limb here, but I would think that if it's this difficult to find a tool like the one you want, there's a reason for it: There's no demand for one like it. And there's no demand for it because it doesn't match the needs of consumers.

If you're really sure that this machine is such a good idea, then buy a truckload, and resell them. You already know you'll corner the US market if you do so.

Reply to
Warren

You should take a look at the power requirements for this tool. If it is made for European use, it is likely to require 230/50 power, so you would need a power converter also.

I doubt they build them for the US market. Eur> >

Reply to
William Brown

Didn't miss it. You said inexpensive and low-end. Can't get much lower than a rake that you power yourself. Plus you didn't specify how big a lawn we were talking about. For a small lawn like most of the new homes I see, this would be a one-hour job.

That said, somebody used to sell a thatch rake that was built like a reel mower. Not powered, but still an improvement over a rake. I thought it was Lee Valley, but I can't find it on their site.

Honda's mini-tiller also has an attachment for de-thatching, but your getting back into the 400 range.

Since this is a tool you generally don't use more than once a year, most companies don't seem interested in building anything other than a commercial grade tool. It's also tough to recommend buying something for once a year use (although find a good deal on one and I'd consider it).

My experience is that it'll be used every year. Multiple times every year if you count lending it to friends, family and neighbors.

Is the need of the American consumer really that different from that of the European consumer when it comes to lawns?

I'm guessing that wouldn't work for the same reason that small European cars don't sell in the US: Americans 'need' something big and gasoline- powered.

Reply to
m4rcone

Again, I'm looking for something *like* it, not necessarily this model per se. A US-version of this would be good. Other brands/types would be OK too.

While I pointed to a British website in my original posting, this model is sold throughout Europe. My parent's lawn (they live in the Netherlands) isn't much smaller than mine (SF bay area), and they swear by it.

Reply to
m4rcone

There is no reason to de-thatch your lawn every year. You can remove leaves in fall by mulching or bagging.

Reply to
Travis