Tariffs hamstring the US in the race to 5G

In order to lead the way in 5G, we need to reduce the uncertainty raised by recent tariffs that are already causing economic harm to U.S. interests, including the telecom sector. The tariffs put in place a month ago are impacting our markets today and will also have long-term consequences for U.S. competitiveness in the race to 5G.

Bod

This is largely bullshit. The reason why we don't have better internet and wireless service is simply that the carriers do not see it as making them any more money. We buy all they have now, why upgrade if will still keep buying the slower service? For them it is a huge outlay in physical plant. This is particularly true as soon as you get very far away from the major population centers. There are vast areas of the US without even decent cell coverage, wired internet is not available. Fully a third of the states have less than 100 people per square mile and most of them are clustered in a city or two. It makes little sense to put up a

5g transmitter for 10-20 people, half who may not even have a "smart" cell phone. When you are looking at the cost of wire, towers, fiber backbones and land leases, a few extra pennies for a chip is going to be lost in the fog.
Reply to
gfretwell

The UK is a shithole.  You'll never get 5G.

Reply to
Jasmes Bod

Did you even read the actual article? It wasn't about having inadequate wireless service, it was about the transition to 5G.

Again, from the article, the major wireless carriers are rolling out 5G right now. They also upgraded from analog to digital, to 2G, 3G, 4G, etc. Did you miss that?

For them it is a huge outlay in physical plant. This

The point of the article was that the telecom industry says that Trump's tariffs are costing them big bucks, so it will slow the 5G roll out and make it more expensive for the carriers and end users. That's what tariffs do.

Reply to
trader_4

On 11/4/2018 11:21 AM, trader_4 trolled:

Fake news.

Tariffs are actually causing prices to drop.  Look here, HF is having another huge blowout sale.

Which Russian troll farm do you work for?

Reply to
Erin Andersen

g another huge blowout sale.

The Russian trolls are supporting Trump, like you, not opposing him. As for his tariffs, HF has been having sales since day one. Having a sale, doesn't tell you anything about whether they have raised some prices because of tariffs. The tariffs are not immediate. From the time Trump says go, there has to be a process, months of delay, before they go into effect and then there is a pipeline. The tariffs are very selective, with Trump picking the winners and losers, so it's possible that HF hasn't seen much impact, where others, eg steel consumers and washing machine buyers have seen big price jumps. I doubt the telecom industry is lying. Trump is the habitual liar.

Reply to
trader_4

We are still talking about the same cell carrier. If you can't get decent cell service you certainly are not getting 4g or 5g. There are plenty of places where 3g is all they get

I understand that but if everyone already had 5g we would not be having this conversation.

The point of the article is just to blame Trump. That is why you and Bod are on it like pigeons on a bag of popcorn. The effect of a few dollar tariff on that hardware is insignificant in the cost of rolling out 5g. The wage increases of the workers is a lot more significant but nobody wants to complain about workers making more money

Reply to
gfretwell

The article was not about problems with cell carriers or coverage. It was simply the telecom industry association saying that Trump's tariffs have driven up the cost of rolling out 5G.

No, instead we'd see a similar article about the impact of tariffs on the cost of rolling out 6G or expanding coverage of 5G, delivering internet via wireless to areas not served, etc.

far away from the major

Well, who would you blame for the higher prices of things like steel, washing machines and telecom equipment? Hillary?

That is why you and

Who says it's just a few dollars? Trump is putting on 25% tariffs on a lot of goods. Washing machines, for example, one of the first things to be hit, within months the price to consumers was up 16%. That's $80 on a $500 washer. I expect the telecom companies are seeing similar.

Reply to
trader_4

Not a lot of washing machines in a 5g network, not a lot of steel either. This article would have more veritas if they told us exactly what tariff they were talking about and how much money it cost them extra. The only thing I have actually heard is chinese companies are moving to Thailand and other countries because they are not subject to the chinese tariffs ... but it might really be because labor is cheaper there. China is seeing the same thing happen to them as they did to us. Their prosperity raised wages there to the point that Vietnam, and Thailand is stealing their jobs. If the tariff was expanded to include them, this might mean something.

I suppose there might actually be a US company or two who could now afford to compete and is that so bad? How long will we insist on the lowest price for everything and drive American companies out of the market?

Reply to
gfretwell

Yeah that 1/3d of a cent extra for the aluminum in a Coke can is why a

12 pack of sugar water costs $5.
Reply to
gfretwell

You can always find some products like that where the content is small, so the effect is not large. Take a look at washing machines and dryers, they went up 16% right after Trump imposed a 25% tariff. It's exactly what you'd expect. He's tariffing hundreds of billions of imports, clearly somebody i s going to pay billions more and it's not China. There was a story here abo ut a small business in PA, 85 employees, they make refrigerated store cases . They were planning to hire 5 more people and spend millions on new machin e tools, but with the steel price hikes they won't.

Reply to
trader_4

That all sounds like hype to me. Are you really saying the extra couple of dollars the tariff added to the cost of the steel in a washing machine made that much difference in the finished price? Maybe they might start making the "can" out of carbon fiber, resin or something else and they will last forever instead of rusting out in a few years. Unfortunately there is simply not that much steel in a washing machine. It costs far more to roll it out, bend it up, drill the holes and assemble it than the 3 or 4 pounds of raw steel involved. If it did rekindle a US steel industry, is that really a bad thing? If nothing else it could be a national security issue. If we ever did go to war with China, do you think they would still sell us the steel to build the weapons we need to fight them? That was one of the important factors in the defeat of Japan.

Reply to
gfretwell

pensive-2018-8

so the effect is not large. Take a look at washing machines and dryers, th ey went up 16% right after Trump imposed a 25% tariff. It's exactly what yo u'd expect. He's tariffing hundreds of billions of imports, clearly somebod y is going to pay billions more and it's not China. There was a story here about a small business in PA, 85 employees, they make refrigerated store ca ses. They were planning to hire 5 more people and spend millions on new mac hine tools, but with the steel price hikes they won't.

No, one of the first tariffs Trump put in place was a 25% tariff on washing machines and dryers. That's what caused the 16% jump in retail prices here. It's exactly what tariffs are supposed to do.

Reply to
trader_4