Hostas

Can anyone tell me how hard it is to grow hostas from seeds? And where is the best place to buy the seeds.

Reply to
Romy Beeck

Romy,

Since I don't buy Hosta seeds I can't tell you of a source, but they are relatively easy to grow from seed.

I simply scatter the seeds on top of a pot of quality potting mix, water and wait. If the seed has been cold treated it will sprout within a week to 10 days and be large enough to handle in about two weeks. I then transplant the largest seedlings into Jiffy Peat Pellets that have been previously soaked and expanded.

Hosta seedlings are painfully slow growing, but once they get started they grow at a fairly even rate. By mid summer they should be large enough to move on to quart sized nursery pots.

I plan to move the majority of the seedlings I have to 6-inch mum pots right before I move them outside to harden them off and then they will go into an area where they will be grown on to a salable size. They will probably be moved on one more time before the end of summer. Nest Spring they'll go into the next larger size pot.

PARKS SEEDS does sell a good many different types of perennial seeds so you might try there for Hosta seed, or do a Google Search for Hosta seed.

Hemma

Reply to
Hemmaholic