Hostas

I have big pots of hostas that I have been saving for some landscaping that i have been doing.I like to plant some of them next week but i'm not sure if its to late or to early for them to plant here in wisconsin. Another thing i like to know if they will be alright outside this winter in them large pots THANK YOU

Reply to
Romy Beeck

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

You are better off planting them now or this fall rather than leaving them in the pots over winter. Unless the containers are very large, they will freeze over the winter unless special precautions are made to protect them. It is fine to plant them right now, just keep them well watered until they've had a chance to re-establish themselves. The earlier the better if you ask me. The more time the plant has to acclimate to its new home before winter hits the better. good luck, Matt

Reply to
Matt

Plant them now sounds like good advice, but there's nothing wrong with letting them freeze. Here (zone 3) their entire root systems certainly freeze every winter, but they come back. What is generally considered harmful is for plants to undergo cycles of freezing and thawing, so put the pots somewhere (sunk in the ground recommended) so they don't thaw and refreeze.

Reply to
Andrew Ostrander

"Andrew Ostrander" expounded:

Absolutely true. I left several out, exposed, on a cement slab over a winter long ago, the following spring they were sprouting on the cement. I planted them and they barely skipped a beat. I don't advise treating plants this way, but it's really hard to kill a hosta.

Reply to
Ann