Plant ID

We are in Northern Ohio and this plant has appeared in our flower bed. I don't remember planting it, but perhaps I did. It is about 18 inches tall. I put some pictures of it at

anyone recognize it?

Reply to
William Brown

The picture you posted is showing what looks to be a shrub that is about 3 feet high. I would guess that it has been there for years considering the thickness of the branches. My guess would be that it is a privet ( Ligustrum) of some kind. Does it get flowers? Is it evergreen or deciduous? How fast does it grow?

Reply to
Vox Humana

It has been there for some years and doesn't grow as fast as our privet; I would call it slow growing. It is just under two feet tall. I haven't seen flowers, but I don't go in that area often, especially in the spring as that is our daffodil bed. I can't remember if it is evergreen, but I'll look this winter.

I compared it to our privet after reading your thoughts. I know there are all kinds of privet. The trunk on the mystery shrub has patterns not unlike our privet, but is dark grey-green, where our privets are more tan. I cut a branch and put up some closer pictures of the leaves at the same URL. Our privet has smooth-edged leaves, while the mystery shrub has erose-edged leaves, in a pattern of one large and two small originating very close together on the twig, which also differs from our privet.

Reply to
William Brown