Photo's of The National Summer Show

No. Language is either beautiful or ugly. There is no in-between.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

For the very simple reason that I just don't tolerate persistent stupidity.

You are welcome to sidestep me. My six posts were a failed attempt to persuade somebody to adhere to good usenet practice.

[snip]

Franz

Reply to
Franz Heymann

Stephen

Thanks for the feedback, my wife and I are delighted that you enjoyed Valerie Margaret, as this is a rose that I have bred (out of Sunderland Supreme x Seedling) and named after my wife.

Your hint is useful, I have been bothered with file uploading times and have been trying to minimise this. I have reduced photo file sizes as much as possible, and for the National Show photos I split the photos into three pages rather than one. After loading the picture for the first time any subsequent loading will be much quicker. I'll look into your suggestion to try and make further improvements.

Regards

Martin Double Bexrose - ebmaster

Reply to
Martin

The web site design is down to me, just an enthusiastic amateur, but I am always open to suggestions for improvement.

Our monthly news bulletin is put together by Bexrose Hon secretary (Janet Newton) and another (Pat Powell), they email the bulletin to me for uploading onto our web site. Bexrose also distribute hard copies of the bulletin (400 odd) to those members that do not have computers. We are trying to encorage more to make use of the electronic form of the bulletin, a few members are sent the bulletin direct by email as their prefered choice.

Other articles are mostly by me with a few from others. I would like more from others of course in order to lighten my work load.

So to the point!

1) There is the current material on the web site all produced over about the last 6-7 months. 2) There is the monthly bulletin. 3) Articles are produced on a random basis, averaging about one or two per month so far. I see this trend steadily reducing as our planned list of articles becomes complete. After that there will be just a little updating / improved presentaion / maintenace of the articles. 4) News, Events, Show Results, and those much discuss Photos will be up dated as necessary about once every two months. 5) Additions to existing articles as and when. For instance the article on rose varieties / varieties for exhibition needs more photos and a much fuller description of the varieties i.e. Scent, Habit, Etc.

Assistance in editing of all or any of the above for spelling, grammar, technical content, presentation etc would be welcomed.

All sounds to be a lot of work but I see the next year as probably completing the core content of the web site. And, many hands make light work!

Please contact me direct with any further advice, comments, articles, offers of help etc.

Regards

Martin Double Bexrose - Webmaster

Reply to
Martin

Martin..

The big advantage of using thumbnails is that you can link them to larger images on a separate page. The most efficient and widely used technique to browse such thumbnails is by opening the image up in a separate window so that it downloads whilst you carry on browsing the main page - and such glorious images would benefit from a few extra Kb of data!

I can thoroughly recommend an application called Irfanview ( freeware, widely available ) as a means of reducing image size to the best advantage with regard to quality.

If only there was some way of downloading the scent!!

My compliments on the Valerie Margaret - your wife must be as proud and as beautiful as the rose.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

As far as what you called "technical content", I don't think I'll have time for that. I just bought a new house and I'm not planning on eating or sleeping until the garden is done. But, I'd be glad to help with grammar/spelling/sentence smoothness. Email me at my hotmail address and I'll give you my "not for public consumption" email address. We'll go from there.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Kanter