Orchids

Hi. I'm new to these newsgroups. I would like to know if anyone has any hints or tips about growing orchids in the New England area (Boston, MA). I am originally from the Philippines, and I grew orchids all the time, and orchids are my favorite flower. But the seasons are so different here, I would appreciate any handy hints that any of you have. Thank you very much. Elsie

They're not too hard to grow. Consider, before buying one, what temperatures it likes, and what temperatures your house will be heated to in winter. I'd avoid ones that like really strong light, as well. Definitely do research on which ones you want before buying one.
-
-
theoneflasehaddock
Most low light orchids do well up there. I had luck with Phalaenopsis and Dendrobiums. I would expect Paphiopedilums to do well also. You could try Cattleya if you have good sun exposure; we used to have some in our university greenhouse in upstate
For better info. I believe there is an orchid newsgroup something like rec.orchids. Look them up. They can be very helpful.