Anyone know and easy way to fertilize lots of orchids fast?

I've been using Orchid fertilizer and a garden 2 gallon pump sprayer but my addiction has far exceeded its capabilities. So I'm wondering if something like a hose end sprayer like ortho makes would work. The problem I see with that is getting a proper mix. I'm open to ideas to fertilize a lot of orchids in a short amount of time.

Orchids that I have are Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis, Oncidiums, Dendrobiums, and a few other odds and ends.

By the way did I mention cost effective? (cheap)

Any good and easily workable ideas are appreciated

Reply to
dusty

The best way I've found is to use a hose end sprayer by Hudson. They used to be carried by all the big box stores but have disappeared. But there are a number of places online that carry them and they're inexpensive ($8-9 last I looked). I mix a gallon of water with 12 tsp of fertilizer, actually several gallon jugs so I have enough pre-dissolved and ready to go. Fill the container on the hose end with a quart of fertilizer concentrate, set the setting on top to 6 gallons and let 'er rip. It works pretty well even at low flow rates. A gallon of concentrate makes 24 gallons of 1/2 tsp/ gal fertilizer. Adjust your concentrate for different dilutions. The Hudson also allows you to place concentrated liquids in the container and change the setting on top to adjust the amount you want to dissolve per gallon of flow. You do need to use good flow rates for thicker liquids like Physan or you just don't get much. I do like to use it with Physan for spraying down the walls and floors to keep down algae.

Reply to
v_coerulea

Thanks I think I will try your idea as the 55 gal barrel would mean I would have to toss something like the Pandanus odoratissimus (pinapple trees) my Okinawan sister in law gave me or my wife's Erythrina (coral bean tree) and shell ginger plants out into the winters cold. Yes unlike Wendy's wide open airy greenhouse both of my 8x10 greenhouses are an impenetrable jungle especally in the winter time.

duck, twist, shuffle, crawl, squeeze means I'm must be in the greenhouse

Reply to
dusty