My running black thumb zuke count

Page 1 of 2
Hi All,
Of my 14 zuke plants, here is my black thumb running total.
two weeks ago: two fruit one week ago: two fruit this week: one fruit
Think I should fertilize? When the local organic farm was open (turkeys moved on me), they told me the fertilized A LOT. Their zuke plants were twice the size as mine.
Anyone have a favorite organic fertilizer for zukes?
Many thanks, -T
Todd said:

Depends on your soil. Have it tested!
My soil has a good P bank, so I don't need to use fertilizers that contain high phosphorous. So mainly I use alfalfa pellets (horse food) and compost I make with shredded leaves.
Tomato-tone by Espoma would probably be good for squash as well, and I have relied on it for years. That, or Plant-tone.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."
On 07/30/2014 06:54 AM, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

The only organic one I could find was Dr. Earth's all purpose. Dumped two boxes on the guys.
On 07/31/2014 10:57 PM, Todd wrote:

I harvested 4 and 1/2 this week. Things are looking slightly better.
Along with the one from last wee in the crisper, I have enough for a pan full.
On 08/02/2014 11:47 PM, Todd wrote:

This week only got 1! Poop!
On 08/10/2014 07:09 PM, Todd wrote:

11! Yippee. I think it is the fertilizer I applied two weeks ago. Applied again last Thursday.
On 08/17/2014 02:13 PM, Todd wrote:

Hi All,
18-1/2! More than I have ever harvested in the five years or so combined that I have tried growing them.
I think it is the chicken scat fertilizer. I switched to it from the fish head fertilizer this year. I have always fertilized. Apparently, not with the right stuff.
I did this because two years ago, the local farm that moved on me used chicken scat to fertilize with and their tomatoes were out of this world. Last year they used fish poop water and their yield was low and their tomatoes tasted nasty. So, I deliberately sought out organic fertilizer that had chicken scat in it. Bingo!
I blanched about half of them and stuck them in the freezer. The others I made into to rat-uh-two-ee. Froze half of it too. Used my own egg plant. Still had about five zukes left over for the crisper drawer!
-T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 08/24/2014 11:01 PM, Todd wrote:

9-1/2. So much for past glory! I have five in the crisper from last week, so I should have a good time with the cooking again this week.
:-)
On 08/31/2014 12:43 AM, Todd wrote:

One of my largest plants has some of its leaves die off. They were covered in white powder. Found some squash bug eggs on the underside of one dying leaf (crushed them). I searched high and low for the additional eggs, but couldn't find any. I cut off the branched on the leaves with dying leaves and tosses them in the bin.
On 08/31/2014 12:47 AM, Todd wrote:

9
On 09/11/2014 10:23 AM, Todd wrote:

10
On 09/13/2014 10:19 PM, Todd wrote:

4. Bummer. But three of them were 14" ling an about 3" in diameter. I may have to blanch two of them, if they all don't fit in this week's Rat (Ratatouille).
On 09/20/2014 02:08 PM, Todd wrote:

I think it is time to fertilize again~~
On 09/20/2014 08:12 PM, Todd wrote:

Six
I fertilized on Wednesday but Organic fertilizer takes a while to kick in
One was huge. Must have been hiding from me last week. I think I will blanch the leftover one from last week and two largest ones from this week. The larger the less water and they freeze better.
And I keep betting better and better at Rat (Ratatouille). Drain the liquid off and use it for vegetable broth during the week.
On 09/27/2014 07:39 PM, Todd wrote:

getting
On 09/27/2014 07:39 PM, Todd wrote:

Three small ones. Bummer man.
On 10/04/2014 04:21 PM, Todd wrote:

Another three even smaller. Season is coming to a close.
On 10/12/2014 01:25 PM, Todd wrote:

One nice one.
On 10/18/2014 09:55 PM, Todd wrote:

Froze a couple of days ago. They are all dead. :'(
On 10/29/2014 11:07 AM, Todd wrote:

Found one last small one in the rubble. Survived the freeze.