My running black thumb zuke count

Hi All,

Of my 14 zuke plants, here is my black thumb running total.

two weeks ago: two fruit one week ago: two fruit this week: one fruit

Think I should fertilize? When the local organic farm was open (turkeys moved on me), they told me the fertilized A LOT. Their zuke plants were twice the size as mine.

Anyone have a favorite organic fertilizer for zukes?

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
Todd

Depends on your soil. Have it tested!

My soil has a good P bank, so I don't need to use fertilizers that contain high phosphorous. So mainly I use alfalfa pellets (horse food) and compost I make with shredded leaves.

Tomato-tone by Espoma would probably be good for squash as well, and I have relied on it for years. That, or Plant-tone.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

The only organic one I could find was Dr. Earth's all purpose. Dumped two boxes on the guys.

Reply to
Todd

I harvested 4 and 1/2 this week. Things are looking slightly better.

Along with the one from last wee in the crisper, I have enough for a pan full.

Reply to
Todd

This week only got 1! Poop!

Reply to
Todd

11! Yippee. I think it is the fertilizer I applied two weeks ago. Applied again last Thursday.
Reply to
Todd

Hi All,

18-1/2! More than I have ever harvested in the five years or so combined that I have tried growing them.

I think it is the chicken scat fertilizer. I switched to it from the fish head fertilizer this year. I have always fertilized. Apparently, not with the right stuff.

I did this because two years ago, the local farm that moved on me used chicken scat to fertilize with and their tomatoes were out of this world. Last year they used fish poop water and their yield was low and their tomatoes tasted nasty. So, I deliberately sought out organic fertilizer that had chicken scat in it. Bingo!

I blanched about half of them and stuck them in the freezer. The others I made into to rat-uh-two-ee. Froze half of it too. Used my own egg plant. Still had about five zukes left over for the crisper drawer!

-T

Reply to
Todd

9-1/2. So much for past glory! I have five in the crisper from last week, so I should have a good time with the cooking again this week.

:-)

Reply to
Todd

One of my largest plants has some of its leaves die off. They were covered in white powder. Found some squash bug eggs on the underside of one dying leaf (crushed them). I searched high and low for the additional eggs, but couldn't find any. I cut off the branched on the leaves with dying leaves and tosses them in the bin.

Reply to
Todd

9
Reply to
Todd

10
Reply to
Todd

See Todd... see Todd count...

Brooklyn1

Hi Brooklyn1,

1) Was that photo shopped or for real?

2) You are a funny bunny :-)

3) If I keep up at this rate, will I need more fingers?

Last year, I think I had five, maybe seven plants, I forget. I got five zukes total. So this year in frustration, I planted 14 of the buggers. This year in one week, I have a higher yield than I got ALL last year. I am tickled.

And, I do realize that my yield is still significantly lower per plant than it should be. But at least I am getting some!

In a few minutes, I am going to make Ratatouille for freezing and blanch up a whole bunch more, also for freezing. Never had this problem before. It is a good problem to have.

-T

Reply to
Todd

  1. Bummer. But three of them were 14" ling an about 3" in diameter. I may have to blanch two of them, if they all don't fit in this week's Rat (Ratatouille).
Reply to
Todd

I think it is time to fertilize again~~

Reply to
Todd

Hmm, you've already fertilized this Newsgroup with too much of your bull manure... so far I've seen nothing but your illiterate keystrokes. Zukes are the easiest veggie for cooking tasty dishes. Zuke w/penne:

Sixteen quart pot of zuke zupe:
Either pairs well with steak:

Brooklyn1

I prefer chicken poop. Tomatoes seem to love it.

Now! Now! Kids these days. Always ... crap .. I forgot again. Why am I writing this? Is Teddy still president?

Zukes are the easiest veggie for cooking tasty dishes.

Yum! Not for Diabetics but I am sure it is easily modified.

Yum x16

Okay now, you are making me hungry. Mercy!

Anybody have any tips on growing zukes?

If this provides any clues to the mystery, my purple garlic comes out red, my egg plant produces tiny egg plant, my tomatillo are overtaking my garden and tons of fruit, my cherry tomatoes are going crazy, my single Box Car Willie has only produced six fruit, and my zukes have giant leaves on them and stickers. Zukes on the other side of the yard with more sunlight are covered in white powder. Shake the leaves and the powder goes airborne. There leaves are slowly dying.

-T

Reply to
Todd

Six

I fertilized on Wednesday but Organic fertilizer takes a while to kick in

One was huge. Must have been hiding from me last week. I think I will blanch the leftover one from last week and two largest ones from this week. The larger the less water and they freeze better.

And I keep betting better and better at Rat (Ratatouille). Drain the liquid off and use it for vegetable broth during the week.

Reply to
Todd

getting

Reply to