Mini Pumpkin Question

I have had good luck so far with my first attempt at growing small pumkins. I started with the seeds for "Baby Boo" and have some nice vines with tiny pumpkins growing where the female flowers were.
I'm doing this in my small back yard. They are growing in a narrow bed on the side of my lawn. Now they are starting to spread onto the lawn with these cool spiral tendrils growing into the lawn.
My questions are: -Will breaking these tendrils be problematic as I want to train the vines to go away from the lawn?
-Can I stake up the vines to avoid ground contact? The purpose would be to isolate the fruits from pests and disease.
Thanks! Bennett Zone 6a NY NY
On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 17:36:53 -0400, Bennett wrote:

Nope, go ahead.

Yup!
Tom, Pat: Thanks! Two of the babies have already succumbed to pests. Staking here we come. Bennett