mango pit?

Has anyone tried growing a mango tree from the pit??? As I am in Zone 6, I know it would need to stay indoors in the warmest spot possible. I have not put it in soil yet......should I bother trying???
Thanks!
On 21 Feb 2004 06:09:04 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Cindy) wrote:

I've tried two or three times, and never got one to germinate. (I've had the same bad luck trying to germinate a mosh pit).
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Cindy) wrote in message

I got two out of six to germinate, which are now sharing the same 12" pot. Nice houseplants. One is about 3 ft and the other 2ft, with much larger foliage. I failed indoors and in my (hot) attic. I succeeded the first time outdoors by chance, while turning warm (unfinished) compost in late June or early July I saw the sprouting seed. The second time I got it by putting a seed under a rotting half cantaloupe, also outdoors in July.