Killing Ivy

Page 1 of 2
What's good for killing ivy without harming nearby fruit trees? The neighbouring land (not someone's garden) has a couple of seriously overgrown ivy plants and they're growing onto my property and also growing all over the fruit trees next to them. I'd like some sort off weedkiller to kill them that won't harm the trees.
Add pictures here
βœ–

You could just locate the places where they connect to the earth and cut them there. They need roots.
Add pictures here
βœ–

You folks haven't dealt with ivy before, have you? Nothing short of pulling it out by the roots will slow it down.
--
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the
poor have no food, they call you a communist.²

Yes I have. If pulling it out by the roots is the remedy, pull it out by the roots .......... once it has rooted on your land.
Where is the problem? Too much like hard work? Concrete everything over then and paint it green
--
Mike

βœ–

And then pull them out again, and then once again. Then you may be able to catch your breath as they regroup.
--
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the
poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
βœ–
In article

I suggest waiting for a good day or two of rain to soften the soil. Then wearing gloves long sleeves etc and having a large trash bag about gently pull up the vine trying to get all the roots. May be easier here as sandy loan with high mulch content enables the surface roots to pull well. Think of these roots as underground vine. Try to get it all. Go slow. Hot shower afterwards. Ivy is a good thing to watch for and remove early. Still a bird dropping in and obscure location and nature works. I've neighbors that don't have a clue about poison ivy and don't care.
Bill
--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Add pictures here
βœ–

I have dealt with ivy, lots of ivy. Its no big deal. Chop it off, pull up what you can, then strim, pluck, whatever what re grows. It soon gives up.
Mike
Add pictures here
βœ–
Colin wrote:

There might be a teansy weansy legal point about killing something not on your land?
--
Pete C
London UK

Can't you just cut the plants off a few inches below the soil level, the tops will then die and they don't come back from the roots.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

You'd think. We have a load of ivy that seems to be thriving without any connection to the earth.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Market it!! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Quite possible - it can root in any old medium it finds - eg. on roofs etc. Connection to the earth not essential.
Regards Pete www.thecanalshop.com
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Colin" wrote:

You can cut whatever parts of the ivy are growing on your side of the property line but the application of defolient or digging/pulling up the ivy is something best discussed with your neighbor prior to proceeding with any erradication method and first obtaining their written permission. In some jurisdictions one may apply for monetary compensation for periodically cutting the parts of a neighbor's vegetation growing on your side when they refuse to cut back or otherwise contain their vegetation. There have been many law suits won by people against neighbors whose invasive vegetation have crossed the line... in some instances blocking the view with vegetation is against the law. Of course if you have any reason to believe your neighbor will be uncooperative then it is best to say nothing, creep out in the middle of a moonless night with your sprayer filled with defolient and have at it.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Bloody silly advice, but then I have always got on very well with all of my neighbours. I suppose it is your experience and attitude which has caused a different opinion :-((
--
Mike

βœ–

Have you talked to the owner?
I would.
They may not be aware the problem they are causing and actually welcome you comments and invite you to 'sort em out'
It costs nothing to ask.
--
Mike

βœ–

DUH!
You'd be one of those rare but pitiful neighbors where it would be best to proceed with eraticating their invasive growth without giving a heads up.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Thank you for your wonderful kind words. I trust you live in the middle of a field? If not, with an attitude like that, you should
--
Mike

βœ–

He does sexual innuendoes too.
Welcome aboard ;O)
--
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the
poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
βœ–

I know he read my reply to the OP and than has the unmitigated chutzpah to regurgitate eggszactly what I suggested.
And I do live in the middle of a field, a rather large field, as do most of my neighbors... we like it that way.
I've been attempting to obliterate the field by planting trees but with such a large field its a losing battle...last week I planted two chubby little Colorado blue spruce... what kind of dent will these make:
http://i25.tinypic.com/ziodn5.jpg
Right now it's pouring (or I'd be mowing), there's one lonely Canada goose enjoying the deluge:
http://i28.tinypic.com/2ym87c4.jpg
Add pictures here
βœ–
brooklyn1 wrote:

snippy
Oh, what a lovely place to live Brooklyn. You could grow some lovely veggies there. Wanna let on where it is? Regards,
--
Pete C
London UK