Irises and Daylilies

I have a patch of daylilies around my mailbox. I need to divide them and thin them out because they aren't producing many flowers, though they have beautiful, rich, green leaves. Is fall the right time of year to divide daylilies?

I found a collection of iris called Tiger Iris that is gorgeous and I think it would set off the day lilies well. As the iris fade, the daylilies, hopefully, will continue to bloom. So I was thinking about adding a few iris with the daylilies...leaving space for both to spread. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? Do these two plants not make good companion plants?

Thanks for your help! Shari

Reply to
RainbowCollage

Don't know about the irises, but this *is* a good time to divide daylillies. Their roots are like iron. Best method is to dig up the whole clump (of each plant), and put two pitch forks into the center, back to back (convex edges toward each other). Then, pull in opposite directions. Easier if you water thoroughly the day before.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

absolutely. I'd say lift them all, ammend the soil around the mailbox and plant the largest clumps after you divide them. If you pull them apart too much, you won't have flowers for three years.

None, are you talking about Eye of the Tiger Dutch irises? they are a bulb type iris. I'd be more inclined to plant Siberian irises with the daylilies. And did you know that there are reblooming daylilies? (besides Stella D'Oro I mean) try looking at

and see what I am talking about. And boy what HUGE rhizomes of daylilies for the price! Do these two

yes, but I'd try for Siberian irises or maybe a tall Phlox that will bloom all late spring and summer into the fall.........but yes, the Eye of the Tiger would look good. Rule of thumb: in planting the bulb of the iris, only plant it three times the depth of the size of the bulb. On the daylilies, plant them an inch below soil level....... madgardener. up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Reply to
madgardener