Daylilies: Atlanta area - free daylilies for the digging...

I divided a huge patch of daylilies sometime back and now they have spread and I have 'way too many. My hope is to find somebody who will come dig some. You could take 100 and not dent this group. I don't know what kind they are as they were here when I bought my house. I live in Dunwoody. Since it has been so warm this fall, these are still green and full and the bed they are in is improved so they are easy to dig.

Sterling

interested contact me as: sterhill at sign comcast dot net

Reply to
Sterling

well the problem is they are your standard type of daylilies. Or common "ditch lilies" which is why after you dug up a huge patch you have a blue million of them now. I'd say your best bet is to get hold of the beautification program or a local church or school and offer the rhizomes to someone to come dig them up. The variety you have in the pictures are the old fashioned ones called "Quanzo" which are what the other hybrids have been bred from. If you drive along country roads around Atlanta, you'll see these same daylilies growing literally in the ditches. which is why I called them ditch lilies. Tough, they spread very well, and are great to plant on slopes that are difficult to mow. You might even try swapping some rhizomes of these with other daylilies. Try going to gardenweb.com and Georgia gardening forum and see if you can make a swap with someone close. Good luck to you. madgardener who has her own "Quanzo" daylilies except that mine are the old triples, same colors but three layers of petals, in Eastern Tennessee. zone

Reply to
madgardener

thanks for the name - Quanzo - I hate the term 'ditch lilies' as it is always used in a derogatory manner and I think these are wonderful flowers. Big, colorful and carefree...

I will try gardenweb.com and see. Thanks!

madgardener wrote:

Reply to
Sterling